Sugar Cookie Flavors

Baking By Tashablueyes Updated 17 Sep 2008 , 10:08pm by Momkiksbutt

mis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mis Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 4:44pm
post #31 of 52

dandelion56602, thanks. I wasn't getting notices about replies and I haven't been on here for a few days. Thanks again.

Tashablueyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tashablueyes Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 10:14pm
post #32 of 52

I always do my NFSC with both vanilla and almond too. So far I've only done orange extract and lemon extract each in a batch. I want to try Lorann but I can barely afford what I'm doing now. For chocolate or peanut butter I would just tweak the recipe a little to make sure the texture wasn't compromised ( but out here in the Rockies I already have to adjust BIG TIME for the altitude on these)

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 1:12am
post #33 of 52

I saw an ad for this site in the ACD monthly slice. They have Vanilla Butter Nut flavoring for those who can't get it and large quantities for those who use it alot. http://www.silvercloudestates.com/viewlist.aspx?cat=12

gabbenmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gabbenmom Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 3:56am
post #34 of 52

Tashablueeyes,
How are you making your key lime cookies? Are you just using a lime flavor or do you have a recipe?

My son loves lemonade cookies. I also use both vanilla and almond in my cookies. They are so yummy!

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 12:59am
post #35 of 52

dandelion56602
Is that Vanilla Butternut or is it Vanilla, Butter and nut? Or is that the same thing?

thin4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thin4life Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 1:17am
post #36 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tashablueyes

So do any of you offer more than one flavor of iced and decorated sugar cookies? I have been thinking of maybe offering these:

1. Classic buttery sugar cookie
2. Lemon
3. Orange vanilla creamsicle
4. Almond
5. Chocolate
6. Peanut Butter
7. Key lime

What do you think? Do they sound good? Do you think some will work better than others? Also, do/would you charge more for the specially flavored "gourmet" cookies? How would you factor that in?

Thanks!

Orange Vanilla Creamsicle sounds yummy, anyone have a recipe for that?

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 1:35am
post #37 of 52

This is a terrible time for me to find this thread since I'm going on a diet icon_cry.gif ! But before I clean up my act I have to try Grandma Esplins Pastel Cookies, and would love to find the recipe for the orange vanilla creamsicle ones...maybe try te maple ones...drool...
All kinding aside, what a fun thread! I love cookies (in my best cookie monster voice)

Tashablueyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tashablueyes Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 3:22am
post #38 of 52

So far, I've done the orange creamsicle cookes with a tablespoon of vanilla and about half a tablespoon of orange extract. They kinda seem "Creamy" anyway because the cookies are so mellow and buttery in the first place, but you could definitely tweak it.

kutabby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kutabby Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 4:02am
post #39 of 52

Because of this thread, I have been baking all weekend!!! I have made NFSC w/ lemon, butter and strawberry flavoring - just replaced the vanilla extract w/ each flavor, all Lorann flavors. I used a round cookie cutter and made several dozen of each flavor. I've got several people lined up for taste testing icon_smile.gif
When I was buying the flavors, I was really amazed by all the choices! I've never looked at the flavoring oils b/c I don't do candy. I saw cotton candy and thought "Wow, kids would love that!!" Anyone tried it?

gabbenmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gabbenmom Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 4:20am
post #40 of 52

I have tried the cotton candy flavoring in some cotton candy cupcakes. It was good but it did not have a strong cotton candy flavor IMHO. It sounds like it would be good in cookies though. Let us know if you try it.

paddlegirl14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paddlegirl14 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 4:50am
post #41 of 52

I haven't experimented with many flavors yet, so these are just thoughts.

Pina colada (twist on coconut)
carmel or toffee
coffee/latte (since we all need more caffine)

Just suggestions, never tried them

Edee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edee Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 4:23pm
post #42 of 52

Do you ice these or are these just for eating and not decorating?

Also, how much Lorann's flavoring do you use in a batch?

kimsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimsmom Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 6:35pm
post #43 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edee

Do you ice these or are these just for eating and not decorating?

Also, how much Lorann's flavoring do you use in a batch?

I'd also like to know if these are for icing. And is there a chocolate mocha flavoring out there?

kutabby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kutabby Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 7:50pm
post #44 of 52

I do intend to ice mine. I've just been playing around with flavors icon_smile.gif
I've been dropping off the cookies to my friends' houses for them to do taste tests. There is really no clear winner with the three flavors - lemon, butter and strawberry. Lemon is ahead a little. Most comment that the butter is more of a classic sugar cookie flavor - kinda reminds them of a cookie from grandma's kitchen. And strawberry is just different enough - they seem to like it, but doesn't sound like it would be their first choice. I'm definitely going to continue trying new flavors! I'm going for that "OMG, this is the best!" reaction icon_smile.gif

TinkerB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TinkerB Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 6:20pm
post #45 of 52

Okay, so I'm really in need of a good, large batch of chocolate cutout cookies. I've tried one of the recipes here on CC, but it didn't yield a very large batch. I LOVE the NFSC b/c of it's low spread, low rise qualities. Has ayone tweaked that recipe to make it chocolate???? Thanks for the help! BTW, I like to flavor my icing rather than the cookie that way you can have a variety of flavors from one batch ;o)

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 7:00pm
post #46 of 52

The main extracts I use for my cookies are vanilla and coconut. It is so good!!! But all of these flavors sound delicious!! It's getting me in the mood to bake some cookies.

I have an idea to make different flavors in round shapes, and ice them in royal icing tinted different colors (so if I try strawberry, tint the RI pink, which will happen anyway if I use certain extracts like McCormick. But for clear extracts, I would have to tint).

Also...for the previous poster that talked about RBC, you can flavor that differently, too. Either in the same cookie flavor or try to come up with a complimentary flavor. What if you did a chocolate sugar cookie with raspberry or cherry flavored RBC?? Mmmm.
The possibilities are endless!

leannsloan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leannsloan Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 7:37pm
post #47 of 52

Cakekrayzie, I use Lorann oils and flavors and the banana cream Is soooo good. Kids love it and adults are amazed by the taste. I hope this help you with your perfect banana cookie.

mw902 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mw902 Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 12:32am
post #48 of 52

I just tried Grandma Esplins Pastel Cookies with Orange jello, added a tsp of vanilla and they are soooooooo yummy! I am waiting for the strawberry to come out of the oven so I can try those!!! Thanks so much for the recipie!

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 2:56pm
post #49 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by mw902

I just tried Grandma Esplins Pastel Cookies with Orange jello, added a tsp of vanilla and they are soooooooo yummy! I am waiting for the strawberry to come out of the oven so I can try those!!! Thanks so much for the recipie!

I made the lime ones the other day... and topped them with some marshmallow buttercream and they were delish! icon_smile.gif

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 6:14pm
post #50 of 52

This is probably a lame question but can you take a 1/2 cup of the flour from the NFSC recipe and just substitute it with baking cocoa? Or is that not going to work?

I made some rockin' chocolate cut-out recipes a while back using a chocolate cake mix and then tweaked it and then ended up coming out tasting like cake in the form of a cookie. Not strong enough to put on a stick and they spread a bit more then I cared for, but they were good.

For the life of me I don't remember what I did and can't find the dang recipe anywhere - its driving me crazy!!!!

ac0474 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ac0474 Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 10:16pm
post #51 of 52

Not a lame question at all! I put in a half cup of cocoa in place of flour all of the time for chocolate cookies.

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 10:08pm
post #52 of 52

Heya Cakediva....if you are looking for a simply fantastic chocolate fix then I've got the one for you here!! Get ready ladies, this is my very own recipe and my family simply begs for them all the time...hope you like them too!

Lisa's Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Cookies:

2 Cups Sugar
2 Cups Dark Brown Sugar
2 Scant cups Butter flavored Shortening(can use regular, but it doesn't taste the same)
2 Tablespoons pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup special dark baking cocoa
4 Tablespoons dutch cocoa
4 eggs
4 cups + 1 cup(set aside the last cup and add in if it's not stiff enough)flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
Dash of nutmeg(dash only, no more)
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 pound of semi-sweet chocolate chips

Cream together the sugars, shortening, and cocoa for about 5 minutes until very smooth and fluffy. Then add the rest of the ingredients in slowly and mix until smooth and silky. The way to tell if the dough is stiff enough is if you pull he beater out and the dough stays standing up around that area. If it doesn't you need to add alittle more flour(the extra cup) untill it does. Hand stir in the chips.

Drop ping pong ball sized scoops onto a parchment paper, or silpat covered cookie sheet and bake in a 375 degree oven for about 13 minutes.

*OPTIONAL add-ins:

For a little "healthier" version add in 3 cups of quick oats.

You may also add in some chopped walnuts, macadamia nuts or pecans if you prefer.

All very yummy!

Enjoy everyone!

icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%