Premade Marshmallow Fondant Decorations

Decorating By katie11 Updated 28 Jul 2008 , 10:22pm by TexasSugar

katie11 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 2:33am
post #1 of 6

I need to make a fondant bow cake topper and wanted to try making it out of marshmallow fondant. How far in advance can I make it? HOw should I store it? (We just had #3 and time is at a premium).

Thanks!

5 replies
TexasSugar Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 3:16am
post #2 of 6

I would add either gum tex, tylose, or gumpaste to it to help it harden up. You can really do it anytime. You want to make sure you give it time to dry. I would store it in a cake box or something else that is not air tight, but does keep it covered.

KimAZ Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 6:20am
post #3 of 6

Hi!
I use MMF for almost all my accent and decoration pieces on my cakes. I make them usually 2 days in advance, sometimes 3 and just leave them out on a cookie sheet on my counter to dry. Never had a problem. Usually the pieces are fairly small and dry hard enough to handle just fine over night. But then again, I'm in Arizona and we don't have much humidity.

KimAZ

Malakin Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 11:40am
post #4 of 6

Must be nice to have them dry quick. I live in Ky. High humidity. Sometimes for larger pieces it takes almost a week. I mix in some gumpaste powder.

katie11 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 4:21pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks! i don't need the topper until August 23rd. So if I make it now and keep it covered it will be o-kay? Also, can I add tylose or gumpaste to marshmallow fondant after it is already made? Could I just knead it in?

TexasSugar Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 10:22pm
post #6 of 6

Yes it will be okay. And yes you just kneed in the tylose or gumpaste after it is made. I don't measure mine any more, but I think it is something like 1 teaspoon to 12 oz fondant. With gumpaste I just mix premade gumpaste to an equal portion fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%