Cars Themed Cakes?

Decorating By Bridy Updated 29 Jul 2008 , 8:10pm by CakeInfatuation

Bridy Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 1:23am
post #1 of 22

does anyone have ideas for CARS themed cakes?

21 replies
amandamotley Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 1:36am
post #2 of 22

I just posted one in my photos. I got ideas from several here. Mine is pretty basic, but the 3 yr old LOVED it! Good luck!

foxymomma521 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 1:36am
post #3 of 22

Like the Disney movie? I have 2 in my pics... Is there a certain character or just McQueen that you want? Do you want to do a tiered cake, sheetcake or 3d cake? I've seen some awesome 3d lightning mcqueens on here!

Bridy Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 2:41am
post #4 of 22

Thank you for the replies. yes CARS Disney cakes.

I was going to do the Wilton 3D Lightning McQueen Cake but my son wants the Blue King car and I am such a novice that there is no way I can do that without a pan.

So then I was thinking maybe someone has done a cake with other charaters other than McQueen and I could get inspired.

I will have a look at your pictures, thank you for sharing.

AmyGonzalez Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 3:37am
post #5 of 22

Here is one I did. Lightening is tiered on top of an 18 inch round and mator is drawn using the reverse mirror tech. I had lots of fun putting this large cake together! icon_razz.gif

AmyGonzalez Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 3:39am
post #6 of 22

oops forgot the link icon_redface.gif

www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1177471

sugarshack Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 5:43pm
post #7 of 22

i have one in m yphotos

ac2steachk Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 5:51pm
post #8 of 22

If you do a gallery search for cars, you'll get many pages of ideas.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&meta=search&type=full&search=cars

If you have a specific character in mind, do a search for that one.

I have 2 lightning mcqueens in my photos, also.

nickymom Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 5:56pm
post #9 of 22

I have 2 pictures in my album.
One is a mountain...you the know the mountain Lightening McQueen & Sally drove up & one is of Lightening McQueen

KrisD13 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 6:00pm
post #10 of 22

I did Lightning, also. He's in my photo's. I used the funny car pan from Wilton, and don't think it would be much of a stretch to carve a bit to make the King out of it.

I actually had to carve in a few areas and add some cake to the back spoiler. I was terrified, but when you break it down into steps, it's not so terrifying.

And remember, if there's something in someone's pics, you can always try PM'ing them for help. icon_biggrin.gif

HTH and Good Luck.

aa053103 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 6:05pm
post #11 of 22

I have one in my photos but it's the wilton character pan. If your son wants blue, why mcqueen in blue like when he dreams of dinoco being he's sponsor. Yeah, I've seen the movie about hundred times. Here's one I did for my son's 2nd birthday. Sorry, I don't have a better picture but at least you get the idea.
LL

Bridy Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 6:08pm
post #12 of 22

Thank you for all the tips and suggestions.

I think I am just going to do 2, 8' rounds and make a race track. I am going to buy some mini Disney Cars and place them on the cake for decoration. This way my son can keep the cars and the cake will be super easy to make!
I am not much of a decorater, but I have a lot of fun making messy, and not so pretty looking cakes, lol

I figured the 2, 8' rounds should be fairly easy for a novice like me.

OCakes Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 6:22pm
post #13 of 22

I cannot figure out how to delete this duplicated response.... sorry!
LL

OCakes Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 6:23pm
post #14 of 22

I've never done the blue king car - but I have a nascar pan which I think you could use to get his shape - or maybe even sheet cake? (If I'm thinking of the right car!)... I think I've posted a Lightning McQueen on this site, which I used that exact pan for, but I shorted it by a couple of inches & added a bit of cake scrap for the back spoiler. I also did a cake with the Radiator Springs "cast", so the king wasn't included. Good luck!

...now I just read your idea of adding the toys on top - that's a great idea & much easier not to have to create the car!
LL

bwonderful Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 6:25pm
post #15 of 22

I have one in my gallery that was easy and fun to do

Molly2 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 6:46pm
post #16 of 22

I just did Tow Mater last night I don't have pictures yet but I will soon it was a lot of fun to make

Molly2

valbos22 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 7:01pm
post #17 of 22

Here is my Mator cake (first time using fondant so be kind.) This year he wants Lightening McQueen.

OCakes Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 6:50am
post #18 of 22

valbos22: HE IS AWESOME! I can't believe that's your first time with fondant, he's GREAT!

moralna Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 12:37pm
post #19 of 22

I also did a Lightning McQueen cake and a Mater cake for my nephew's 3rd b-day. I then bought a wall banner with all of the other characters on it and placed it on the wall behind the cakes - it looked really cute. I also then made individual cupcakes with the other characters on the cupcakes. It's in my photos.

Karema Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 2:17pm
post #20 of 22

Check out my pics I have one in there. It is pretty basic and was fun to do. Good luck

missmeg Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 6:25pm
post #21 of 22

I did one back in March. This was one of my most fun cakes to do...so much so I ended up doing two of them, two weekends in a row! It was great 'cause the client supplied the toy cars.

The "4" is color flow, and I did a black/white checkerboard top in fondant. I got my inspiration from numerous similar cakes here on CC - thanks to everyone who has done a similar cake.
LL

CakeInfatuation Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 8:10pm
post #22 of 22

I did a cars cake for my son's 3rd Birthday. It looks a lot like what you plan to do.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%