I Think I'm Cursed.....long.....

Decorating By KKC Updated 28 Jul 2008 , 8:56pm by TracyLH

KKC Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 11:24pm
post #1 of 14

Because it seems that the people I want to learn some cake decorating techniques from is dead icon_cry.gif Well, my DH's aunt is a great cake decorator...been making cakes for him his whole life until I came in the picture and starting making cakes for him. Well I asked her when I first started doing cakes to teach me a thing or two and before I could learn anything from her she passed away on Thursday icon_cry.gif . I also had a cousin who passed away last month and she was also a fantastic cake decorator. I asked her also to teach me some things and before she could teach me she passed away in June of this year icon_cry.gif My DH jokingly says that I'm cursed. I honestly feel so bad about this, things like this shouldn't happen. And to top it off my Great-great aunt passed away this Thursday right before we left for our Family Reunion on Friday. I am so beside myself, I don't know what to do. I pray that the Lord bless their souls but I'm really considering not doing cakes anymore. I am so depressed about this icon_redface.gif . This has been a horrible weekend icon_cry.gif Sorry I just needed to vent a little. Thanks for listening!!!

13 replies
bkdcakes Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 11:33pm
post #2 of 14

Bless your heart! I'm so sorry all of this happened! {{{{{hugs}}}}}

prtyinduo Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 11:40pm
post #3 of 14

Kivia I'm sorry for your losses but don't give up.. The world needs all the cake decorators it could ever want....we bring beauty together with our cakes... thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

KKC Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 11:51pm
post #4 of 14

bkdcakes & prtyinduo....thanks for your kind words. I am ususally so composed but this is more than one person can handle.

alanahodgson Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 12:10am
post #5 of 14

I'm sorry for your losses, but please dont' ask me to give you any cake decorating advice!!! Was that in poor taste? I was hoping it'd make you laugh!

KKC Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 12:14am
post #6 of 14

Yes, I must say that was funny icon_lol.gif I needed that thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 1:21am
post #7 of 14
Originally Posted by alanahodgson

I'm sorry for your losses, but please dont' ask me to give you any cake decorating advice!!! Was that in poor taste? I was hoping it'd make you laugh!

Oh good, someone else said it first!! 'Coz I was thinking the same thing! icon_lol.gif

I am also sorry that you've lost these people that you so admire. Think of it, not that you didn't get to learn from them, but how fortunate you are that they passed down the same path of life with you and inspired you even a little! And what a wonderful gift that in itself is to us! thumbs_up.gif

KKC Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 4:21am
post #8 of 14

True...My DH told me 'Think about it...when someone asks u if you took classes for this at least u can truly say u are a self-taught decorator' I mean that's good but u can never learn too much when it comes this Cake Artistry. I've learned so much on here, I was scared to try different things as far as cake decorating goes and the moment I joined this family it confirmed that this is what I was meant to do. I do wanna thank you guys for all of your words of encouragement...it has helped alot...I really truly feel like I belong!!!!

Lesia Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 4:34am
post #9 of 14

So sorry for your losses - but don't fret - I learned everything, and I do mean EVERYTHING I know from message boards like this. (Well, with a good dose of trial and error, also!). icon_biggrin.gif

tracycakes Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 1:19pm
post #10 of 14

I'm so sorry for your losses. I know it must be really tough.

But, don't give up on cake decorating. Years ago, I did a wedding cake and groom's cake for a co-worker. It was the largest cake I had ever done and my 4th wedding cake. Six months later, the groom was killed in a training accident (he was in the military). After that, I refused to do any wedding cakes but it was my loss because I missed it. This as about 16 or 17 years ago and I still haven't done a wedding cake since. I was going to do a groom's cake on Aug. 2 but the couple decided to elope a couple of weeks ago.

TracyLH Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 1:44pm
post #11 of 14

I am so deeply sorry for your losses! Although they are not here to teach you their speciific techiniques, you can continue the legacy they started as you do have a whole family here on CC who can help you. So don't give up - not just for the good you will be doing yourself and honoring their tradition, you may well be the link to keep this beauiful family tradition going. (Okay, now I am getting teary-eyed!) Do you have any photos of their cakes? After the pain of this has eased a bit, you might enjoy having those in an album that you can add your photos to as well. Kind of way of keeping their spirit alive. Just a thought.

bethola Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 1:56pm
post #12 of 14

I was going to say the same thing, Tracy LH. Great "cake" minds, huh? LOL

My grandmother was offered the opportunity when she was very young to go to nursing school. She couldn't because of family obligations. When I became a nurse, she was so proud and it was as if "I" was giving her the opportunity all over again!

Keep their legacy alive by being the best cake decorator you can be.

Beth in KY

KKC Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 6:51pm
post #13 of 14

Thanks for all ur kind words...TracyLH, I am actually working on getting pics of some of their work. I guess it was then (when I saw their work) that I knew I wanted to try cake decorating...I've always baked but never decorating. My cousin who passed away last month made a cake for our Church Anniversary a few years ago and it was an exact replica of our church...I was blown away! I knew I had to give this a go. Now the church has asked me to do cake decorating with the kids (my cousin was originally suppose to start the classes before she passed) I'm thinking about it, in honor of her but to be honest I'm not the most patient person in the world. My granny said. 'how could u create cakes that takes hours to make and not have any patience?' I guess thats something to think about lol!!! But really thanks to my CC family you guys are very sweet & encouraging and extremely helpful!!!! Smooches!!!

TracyLH Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 8:56pm
post #14 of 14

Glad to hear that you are feeling a bit better! Take care of yourself!

Quote by @%username% on %date%