Dowels ?? Am So Lost

Decorating By canuckonassignment Updated 28 Jul 2008 , 5:02pm by OCakes

canuckonassignment Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
canuckonassignment Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 8:06pm
post #1 of 8

There is a cake on here that I am going to try to recreate. I found it under "army" it's a 1/2 sheet cake with 2 round cakes on top with a road cut into the round cake.

My question is do I need extra support for the top 2 round cakes on top of my 1/2 sheet cake. If I do what do I do?

Thank you so much

this is the linky to the cake I want to make:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1148463

7 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 8:14pm
post #2 of 8

I would use some dowels if I were doing it. It would probably work without, but better safe than sorry icon_biggrin.gif It will be easier to cut if the round cake is on a board anyhow. I like to use the wilton plastic disposable dowels, the ones that you cut with a steak knife. Push one dowel in, measure to the height that you need, take it out and cut it, and then cut three more the same length. Put them into the cake, but don't push them all the way down. Set the round cake on top of them and let the weight of it push the dowels the rest of the way in (that way you don't have to figure out a way to get your hands out from under the cake without messing up the icing).

1BAKED453 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1BAKED453 Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 10:57pm
post #3 of 8

TEXAS_ROSE YOU ARE SO CLEVER.YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW HELPFUL YOUR TIP IS.

OCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OCakes Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 11:29pm
post #4 of 8

I even do it that way with using wooden skewers as dowell-support... it's so much fun to set the cake on top of them (like 2-4" up) & quickly let go, watching the cake drop. Good luck with your re-creation!

canuckonassignment Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
canuckonassignment Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 12:35am
post #5 of 8

Thanks so much! I will swing by Michaels and see if they have any. If not I wonder if a local bakery will sell me the dowels & cake board...

Thanks again for the TERRIFIC ideas...now if I could only find a great buttercream.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 8:19am
post #6 of 8

Hi and Welcome to CC, canuckonassignment. icon_smile.gif

Decoding CC acronyms:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926-.html

Everything you ever wanted to know about making your first tiered cake:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-5958955-.html
(Has links to popular CC b/c recipes.)

HTH

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 8:35am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckonassignment

Thanks so much! I will swing by Michaels and see if they have any. If not I wonder if a local bakery will sell me the dowels & cake board...

Thanks again for the TERRIFIC ideas...now if I could only find a great buttercream.

Michaels will have them. I usually use foamcore boards cut into the shapes I need instead of buying cake circles because it's cheaper (at least when the foam boards are on sale icon_biggrin.gif).

And here's a link to a really good buttercream http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6992-Indydebis-Crisco-Based-Buttercream-Icing.html

I've never been able to do much with buttercream and always thought it was because of the climate here...but Indydebi's buttercream holds up great and I keep getting rave reviews on the taste too.

OCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OCakes Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 5:02pm
post #8 of 8

I've been in a bind before & had to purchase boards & boxes from my local grocery stores (Safeway, Albertsons)... some won't do it, some will. Now I tend to keep a really good stock =) Buying in bulk saves you too. AND, if you cannot find dowells', I use wooden skewers ALL the time... and I've seen Martha Stewart use straws for a wedding cake! (I think that was on Julia Child's show)...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%