Fondant Tears How To Fix?

Decorating By drgrl21 Updated 27 Jul 2008 , 4:59pm by cakesbyallison

drgrl21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drgrl21 Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 4:26pm
post #1 of 8

fondant tears when i put on cake. what to do and it wrinkles.

7 replies
cakesbyallison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyallison Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 4:31pm
post #2 of 8

Sounds like it's either too dry, or rolled too thinly... Try adding a little shortening to your fondant, and knead through really well. Fondant should feel soft and pliable. Roll about 1/8-1/4" thick (not too thin) and make sure you've rolled enough out, give yourself plenty of extra, and try again. Try not to pull the fondant, but allow it to lay on and smooth down gently, keep workin it, you'll get it!

drgrl21 Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 4:38pm
post #3 of 8

what is the point of the shortening? so I don't keep on adding cornstarch and what is the point of the cornstarch. I feel confused. It's my first time with fondant.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 4:45pm
post #4 of 8

The shortening will make it a little more pliable and a little less dry, without getting stickier the way that it would if you added more liquid.

The reason for the cornstarch when you're rolling it out is that otherwise it will stick to your rolling surface. You can use shortening to roll it out instead, and then you're less likely to get it too dry. I use shortening for mine. The one thing I've noticed is that the surface against the mat won't be perfectly smooth when you use shortening, so it's better to make that the surface that's touching the cake, not the one that's showing...so don't just pick up the mat and flip the fondant onto the cake, if at all possible icon_biggrin.gif

cakesbyallison Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 4:47pm
post #5 of 8

No No! Don't keep adding cornstarch to it! ...that's definately drying it out! Use the cornstarch under the fondant when your rolling it out, don't knead it into the fondant - unless you want your fondant really stiff for molding figures, or embellishments that you want to "dry out". Again, if your fondant feels stiff or dry, add some shortening to your fondant, to get it soft again (shortening on your hands will help it from sticking too).

Try using a silicon matt (Ateco makes one, you can also buy a large piece from a fabric store) then you don't need any cornstarch or powder sugar to roll out on. You can then lift the whole mat up (fondant stays attached) and flip it over onto your cake. Super easy!

drgrl21 Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 4:48pm
post #6 of 8

my fondant is too soft, maybe i put too much crisco and too much cornstarch, now what do i do. help.

drgrl21 Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 4:50pm
post #7 of 8

welll the cake is due in one hour, ia m working on it now. what to do. now its too soft. i am in dispair.

cakesbyallison Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 4:59pm
post #8 of 8

You can salvage it - don't worry (walk away, and take a deep breath!). Again, you want to knead your fondant really well... If it feels sticky in your hands, it's too soft (add a little cornstarch). If your hands are working really hard to get it pliable, add a little shortening. Small amounts of each at a time... You can do it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%