Edible Image Questions

Decorating By ShortcakesSweets Updated 28 Jul 2008 , 4:42am by ShortcakesSweets

ShortcakesSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShortcakesSweets Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 4:00pm
post #1 of 9

I've never worked with edible images before, so if this is a dumb question, please forgive me. icon_redface.gif
I have a cake due this week-end for a lingere shower that the design is so detailed and complex that I believe the easiest way would be to have an edible image done. Hopefully my local Wal-Mart can do this for me. Am I correct that this is done on rice paper?
My question is: How do I adhere the image to a cake that will be covered in BC?
All help/suggestions is greatly appreciated. icon_biggrin.gif

8 replies
Kim_in_CajunCountry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 4:28pm
post #2 of 9

Did my first edible image Friday night. Easy Peasy. While rice paper can be used, the images you get printed from party supply stores or Wal-Mart are printed on thin sheets of frosting with a paper backing.

First, I used scissors to trim the sheet as close as possible to the actual image. Then I frosted my cake with buttercream, smoothed it with a Viva paper towel, and then applied the image before the frosting crusted. I lightly smoothed it with a paper towel as well.

It really couldn't have been easier. I'll definitely do it again.

Good luck!

ShortcakesSweets Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 5:09pm
post #3 of 9

Thank you so much, Kim.
Another dumb question ~ do you take it off the paper backing? If so, how?
Sorry for all the questions, but thanks so much for your help!!

lillicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lillicakes Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 5:28pm
post #4 of 9

My first instructor taught us (before the wonder of cake printers icon_wink.gif) to paint on wafer paper and apply that to the cake. You just paint with a water color brush using food color paste thinned with extract. After you paint, spraying the wafer paper with a quick shot of Pan helps to seal it all. Then you can cut the wafer and smooth it on to the cake.

One use I had for this is when I made a cake for my sister that was covered with cow spots. Instead of painting a design, I painted the wafer straight black with thicker coloring, then Pam-med, then cut the cow spot shapes from the wafer to lay on the cake. Worked great because the spots had a nice finish and no one had to eat a big blop of black frosting (unless they WANTED to eat the wafer icon_wink.gif)

Just another alternative, though kind of old school.

Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 6:17pm
post #5 of 9

Yes you remove the paper backing befor you place it on the cake. Go to kopy Kake.com and they will give you the directions to use on edible images. Hope this helps

ShortcakesSweets Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 8:15pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks everyone!! icon_biggrin.gif

tytyrita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tytyrita Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 9:44pm
post #7 of 9

Yes you need to peel off the backing as this is not edible, the instructions normally comes with the edible photo, but incase it doesn't all u do is freeze it for a few mins, not more than 5mins, and this will stiffen the edible icing enuff for you to peel it off from the backing, don't be in a hurry so as not to rip it, it shld come off easily if not pop it back in the freezer for a few more mins.
Hope it turns out ok.. all the best

pottedmeatchunks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pottedmeatchunks Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 11:05pm
post #8 of 9

because i made this mistake with my first edible image....

place the image on top of white buttercream! if the buttercream is colored it will show through underneath.

ShortcakesSweets Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 4:42am
post #9 of 9

Great information. Thanks so much! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%