Check Is In The Mail

Decorating By onceuponacake Updated 28 Jul 2008 , 12:41am by summernoelle

onceuponacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacake Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 3:57pm
post #1 of 7

What do you do when customers say the check is in the mail and you haven't rec'd it?

If you don't receive it do you follow up or just assume they changed their mind?

I let them know when they tell me check will be going out that the order is confirmed only when check is rec'd and cleared.

6 replies
lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 4:00pm
post #2 of 7

Well you have told them the order is only confirmed when you get the cheque. If you think they really mailed it then you might want to call a week or so later and tell them you don't have it and until you do you consider the date they want open to other cake orders.

If you have their email you could send a note saying the same thing, send a Blind copy to yourself or save the sent message just for your reference. HTH

onceuponacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacake Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 9:07pm
post #3 of 7

that's what i usually do if i can remember icon_biggrin.gif i just hate when they don't follow up themselves lol...and then expect a cake icon_cry.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 11:58pm
post #4 of 7

I've had them BRING me a 2nd check and IF the first one shows up, I will destroy it or return it to them. Ironically, NONE of those "it's in the mail" checks/money orders have ever showed up!

I'm to the point now, that if they pay me via money order, I require they be mailed via any method that has a tracking number. Money Orders cannot have a stop payment put on them and it just becomes a nightmare. I'm THIS close to not accepting money orders at all because of the crap about "But I mailed it!!!!" with no way to prove, find it, cancel it or replace it.

bethyboop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethyboop Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 12:23am
post #5 of 7

maybe you could send them a letter reminding them that their payment has not been received. Additionally, I would add that if the payment is not received by (date), then, due to customer demand, you will have to consider their order void and, if desired, they will have to rebook with you for a later date.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 12:24am
post #6 of 7

If it is past due, I tell them that they can give me a call and put it on a credit card and if I receive the check, I will give them the check when they come to pick up their cake. (if you don't take Visa and MC, then you can do the same thing with Pay Pal, etc)

Its amazing how many times I get a "oh, I found the check! I must have forgotten to mail it!" or my husband was suppose to mail it, etc etc...

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 12:41am
post #7 of 7

Yeah, Paypal is great. It is often worth the additional 2% in fees for situations like this.

Just give her a call, say you havn't rcvd it, and do what indydebi said. Just ask for them to bring it by today (I mean Monday) so you can confirm their order. Or offer to send them an invoice through Paypal.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%