This Little Old Lady Went To The Market ....

Baking By deetmar Updated 28 Jul 2008 , 6:51pm by indydebi

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 12:44pm
post #1 of 6

Well, I'm not really little, and it really wasn't a market, however, I wandered around Hobby Lobby yesterday, because I am bored out of my mind since I got my fair cake done, but that's another story, I was checking out the cake/cookie isle,and you would never guess what....?

I spent two hours helping people with questions. There was a bride and groom that are having their cake and cupcakes made at a local grocery store. They wanted pink and orange icing on their cupcakes and the store said no it would turn the customers mouth colors. I couldn't believe it. That's never happened to me. They also said they wouldn't put a "Gerber daisy" on the top of the cupcake, no decorations. The bride was in tears. I said honey, this is your wedding, you get what you want, not what they can provide. Start shopping around, I told her I would be happy to show her how to make the daisy's, giver her a price, or point her in the right direction to get her what she wants.

Thank I had a single mom that was making a "bee" cake for her daughter, no baking experience. She chased me down in the fabric department.

I found out when I was checking out that one of the register girls was sending them all to fine me. They were asking her questions and she doesn't bake at all, so she told them to find the lady in oxygen and she will help. I asked her how much she was going to pay me to run the cake division of the store, just kidding. I was so glad to help.

5 replies
KeltoKel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KeltoKel Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 1:05pm
post #2 of 6

That is a sweet story. I have also answered questions for people when buying cake supplies. Additionally, I have also asked other people questions who were shopping in the cake supply isle. A good way to make new friends!

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 3:10pm
post #3 of 6

Wow! I wish that would happen to me. You should hang out in that store more often. icon_smile.gif

You know, my Joann's needs someone like you. I called on the phone once and specifically asked if they had the cross cake pan in stock. It was about an hour before the store closed, so I had to know exactly which store to head to. They said yes, they had it. Got there with hubby, no cross pan. I asked one of the girls and she couldn't find them either, so we tracked down the girl who I talked to on the phone. She walked us to the aisle pointed to all of the cake pans on both sides of the aisles and said, "Yes, we have cake pans." WHAT?!?! I specifically asked about the cross pan and you said you had it, three to be exact. My first carved cake happened that night. Thank goodness it was for my son.

I've heard of other people making conversation in stores or wherever and get sales from it, but I'm always so intimidated. And if I have to go into Joann's or Michael's for something, I'm in and out in a flash.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 3:56pm
post #4 of 6

I end up doing that too. I had someone offer me a job once after my husband showed her my cake photos on his cell phone...but with gas prices and day care and what the job paid, I would have been losing money if I'd taken it, so I couldn't do it, even for the experience.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 3:31pm
post #5 of 6

It's fun to do that, isn't it? I seem to have 'ask me' on my forehead. LOL!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 6:51pm
post #6 of 6

It's so funny that I can tell who's looking at supplies from a novice point of view and who is the pro. I ran into one of my brides in Michaels' one day and she was asking me all kinds of questions in the cake aisle. I also worked with this girl, so we were personal friends too. As we're standing there, there is another lady in the aisle. Bride and I got into a debate and I turned to this other lady and said, "You make cakes .... what do you think of this-or-that?" The lady agreed with me and told bride "you'll be fine with what she's suggesting.

Bride turns to me and says, "Do you two know each other? How did you know she makes cakes?" I said "I could tell by the way she was looking at the things on the shelf!" icon_lol.gif

That's pretty much how I met CakeRN, too. At nephew's wedding, hubby says, "Some lady is checking out your cake." I looked over and said "oh she makes 'em." He said, "Do you know her?" I said, "No, I can tell by the way she's checking it out!" That's when CakeRN and I discovered we were Aunt-in-laws!! (She's the aunt of the groom, on dad's side ... I'm the aunt of the groom, on mom's side!)

I've been in stores where I could tell mom and bride were shopping. Not wanting to solicite business in someone else's store, I simple stop and say, "Sounds like you're planning a wedding. Here's my card .... my website has LOTS of FAQ's and info on how to save money. Check it out!"

And when I'm in Sam's or GFS with my shop apron on, I'm ALWAYS stopped by customers with questions! Spent about 15 mins with one lady in GFS talking about plastic tablecloths! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%