Another Self Proclaimed Party Planner Strikes Again!

Business By Lorendabug Updated 27 Jul 2008 , 11:16pm by Lorendabug

Lorendabug Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 4:12am
post #1 of 9

I am just starting out and have been moving very slowly with my business. But, lately I have been trying to cut back at my full time job to focus more on cakes. Well, I am at my job and this girl that I work with says hey I hear you do cakes. I told her yes that I was just starting to do business. She says great I need cakes for some parties, I am a party planner. Are you available........Anyhow, we make arrangements for a two tiered cake for 70 for July 26. I call her two weeks before to make final arrangements and to remind her that I do not have a deposit yet. She never returns my call and is nowhere to be found. How rude! Why did I let myself get sucked in by yet another self proclaimed party planner? Arrghh!!!!

I am so frustrated at myself for falling for this! Why are people so unprofessional? It is something I will never understand.

8 replies
CoutureCake Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 5:54am
post #2 of 9

icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif Yea, the worst thing is, it's not going to be the first or last time you have this happen, the best thing is to just plan for it and know that especially in the early days you're going to get A LOT of those (mainly it's people doing research for other bakers - who don't have the icon_eek.gif to just ask what your prices are)...

Don't get all frustrated by the situation, just realize that it's going to be there. You'll also find a lot of the self-proclaimed party planners out there but after about two minutes in business you'll discover which ones are legit and which ones aren't. The answer is still the same prices for everyone party planner or not.

Don't fret over other people's idiocity

CoutureCake Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 5:57am
post #3 of 9

icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif Yea, the worst thing is, it's not going to be the first or last time you have this happen, the best thing is to just plan for it and know that especially in the early days you're going to get A LOT of those (mainly it's people doing research for other bakers - who don't have the icon_eek.gif to just ask what your prices are)...

Don't get all frustrated by the situation, just realize that it's going to be there. You'll also find a lot of the self-proclaimed party planners out there but after about two minutes in business you'll discover which ones are legit and which ones aren't. The answer is still the same prices for everyone party planner or not.

Don't fret over other people's idiocity

indydebi Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 12:57pm
post #4 of 9

I LUV working with professional party/event/wedding planners. thumbs_up.gif

God save me from "the friend" who has decided she knows how to put a wedding together! icon_mad.gif

When a bride comes to her sampling with her "coordinator" in tow, I start the inquisition (I guess you could call it in true Debi-Style! icon_twisted.gif ) I'm asking for their business card, where is their office, how long have they been in business, what venues have they worked with, etc, etc. As soon as it's established that they don't do this "for a living" and they are just "helping their friend", then I pretty much ignore them and just talk to the bride.

I started doing this when "friend" planners tried to dictate and lecture me on how the food was going to be set up and served.

'scuse me, toots, but when you show me your Food Safety Certification and your health department license, then you can tell ME how it's gonna be done. Until then, get the he!! outta my face! icon_mad.gif

mommicakes Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 1:19pm
post #5 of 9

RIGHT ON INDY!!!!! thumbs_up.gif

Because when "Toots" screws up the party,.... Guess who everyone GLARES at???? icon_evil.gif

I like your interrogation techniques. I'm filing that one in my to use file.!!! icon_lol.gif

Thanks INDY!! thumbs_up.gif

vickymacd Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 1:21pm
post #6 of 9

indydebi~ you crack me up! You ARE a professional and I bet you don't get 'stung'. Good for you!! You are quite the businesswoman!!

enchantedmoments Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 1:26pm
post #7 of 9

friends are the worst.
Have a bride that had already had a consultation and design appointment for her cake.
Next thing I know she has a friend that is helping plan the wedding and the friend now has a "vision" for the cake. And they want another tasting.
Was smart enough to charge for this one.
But the friend comes in and changes almost everything about the first cake design.
And has choosen tech. and decorations that are more expensive and you can tell the bride is not really liking it but want speak up and hurt the friends feelings.
I have tried to contact the bride since that second appointment but haven't heard back from her yet.
Sometimes friends should stay at home

snarkybaker Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 8:57pm
post #8 of 9

Here's a tip...I have NEVER met a professional party planner who didn't sned the bride to deal with us directly. Planners may collect initial information, but for the most part they are not empowered to place orders, with the exception of coroporate party planners who are in charge of ordering everything for every event that ...does. They are very easy to deal with, and prefer to do most everything via email or phone once you have established a relationship.

Lorendabug Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 11:16pm
post #9 of 9

I like Indydebi's interview tactics, something I am now going to be doing!

I think I am more frustrated at myself for not seeing through her. Never again!

I have plenty to keep me busy, so off to the next adventure.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%