Customer Wants An Ugly Cake

Decorating By blue123 Updated 28 Jul 2008 , 5:04am by blue123

blue123 Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 4:09am
post #1 of 10

I hate when a customer wants to "customize" their cake and you know the colors, look, etc. will look bad. I try to convince them otherwise, but to no avail. How do you handle this? Thanks...Lisa

9 replies
JanH Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 7:07am
post #2 of 10
kimmypooh79 Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 8:20am
post #3 of 10

icon_rolleyes.gif The customer is always right icon_rolleyes.gif HAHAHA

blue123 Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 8:52pm
post #4 of 10

I understand that the customer is always right...that's why I do what they ask. I guess that it's frustrating more than anything. I really would like more of a challenge. I want a portfolio to be proud of.

jammjenks Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 10:11pm
post #5 of 10

I would certainly do it. Tacky money is just as green as stylish money, right? If you don't want the picture in your portfolio, just don't take a picture of it or take the picture and don't put it in with the others.

NayNay2 Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 11:40pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

I would certainly do it. Tacky money is just as green as stylish money, right? If you don't want the picture in your portfolio, just don't take a picture of it or take the picture and don't put it in with the others.

Very good point thumbs_up.gif

ljdills Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 11:54pm
post #7 of 10

I agree that tacky money is just as green as stylish money, however, your name will be attached. What annoys me is when you tell the client over and over that their idea will not look good and they insist on this design or these colors and then when the cake is picked up or delivered they complain that it looks terrible ! I had a customer recently who brought in a napkin and she wanted the cake to match the napkin, brown and mustard gold. Then when she picked it up she said the colors were hideous. What?!!

tatetart Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 12:04am
post #8 of 10

I had that happen once. The woman picked out horrible colors, so I made a mini cake dummy with her chosen colors, took a pic of it and emailed her "just to make sure this was exactly what she wants."
She wrote back, was grateful because she was having a hard time envisioning the colors together and then asked me to use my disgression in choosing the colors.

cakebabe Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 12:42am
post #9 of 10

what about doing a sketch of the ugly cake and emailing it to the bride to verify it is exactly what she wants.

blue123 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 5:04am
post #10 of 10

[quote="ljdills"]I agree that tacky money is just as green as stylish money, however, your name will be attached.

That's the exact point...my name is attatched.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%