Durable/3D Cake Vs. Darn Good Cake

Decorating By ZAKIA6 Updated 28 Jul 2008 , 3:16am by ZAKIA6

ZAKIA6 Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 1:58am
post #1 of 9

I was looking for a recipe for a sturdy cake and came across the recipe for the durable cake in the recipes section. This recipe is really really similar to the Darn good cake in the Cake Mix Doctor. The main differnce is one uses egg whites and one uses whole eggs.

Has anyone made both? If so which did you prefer.
What difference does the egg whites vs whole eggs make.

I am need to make a lemon cake and just wondering if i should use whole eggs or just egg white.

8 replies
ZAKIA6 Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 2:22am
post #2 of 9

Also if anyone has ever used either recipe in a flavor other than white/yellow/vanilla or chcolate, please let me know what you thought.

Tweedie Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 2:40am
post #3 of 9

I was under the impression that using whole eggs gives you a denser, sturdier cake. I've made the DGCC and really like it but I haven't tried the other one. I've never made it using any other flavors either but don't see why it wouldn't work if you adjust the mix and pudding flavors accordingly.

ZAKIA6 Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 3:16am
post #4 of 9

thanks i was thinking the same thing

i noticed that BC cake mix says it already has pudding mix in it. DH doesnt state this. do i still need to add the pudding mix if i use a BC cake mix?

stampinron Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 3:26am
post #5 of 9

I have done both and perfer the darn good choc cake. the durable choc cake is rubbery.

ZAKIA6 Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 3:30am
post #6 of 9

oooh. thanks for the heads up. icon_surprised.gif

ZAKIA6 Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 12:29pm
post #7 of 9

does anyone know if i should add the pudding packet if the cake mix already has pudding in it?

Tweedie Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 1:15pm
post #8 of 9

I wouldn't add the extra pudding to the BC mix because I have read on here before that the extra pudding makes the cake gummy.

ZAKIA6 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 3:16am
post #9 of 9

just wanted to update. i make two versions of the darn good cake today
one using duncan hines and adding a pudding packet, the other using betty crocker pudding in the mix.

While i liked the taste of the DH cake it was way too soft/fragile. The BC cake fared much better.

I think i may switch to BC for all my box cakes going forward.

Quote by @%username% on %date%