I Want To Go Beyond The Box Mix

Baking By yvette131 Updated 29 Jul 2008 , 3:31am by sadiepix

yvette131 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yvette131 Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 1:49am
post #1 of 8

i love cake box mixes, they are easy to use and they come out moist and buttery. I however would love a scratch recipe that can be just as moist and buttery for my customers who want cakes from scratch. Can anyone please share their favorite yellow cake recipe- im looking for that right one. maybe even one that will make me drop the box mix forever. Thanks.

7 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 4:22am
post #2 of 8

you will find everyone has a different favorite, and can get different results with the same recipe.

Get a good book with lots of recipes and givea few a try. There are very good review of
the Cake Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum
the whimsical Bakehouse
Confetti Cakes- Elisa Strauss

Henna20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Henna20 Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 4:56am
post #3 of 8

i love love love hershey's perfectly choc choc cake. its so yum, moist and easy to make. my customers love it

maximaa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maximaa Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 11:23pm
post #4 of 8

You just need to either go to your nearest library and get the Cake Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum or buy it anywhere, with that one you can accomplish anything and learn a lot.
I personally didn't like the Confetti Cakes by Elisa Strauss book although it has very nice pictures; the recipes are not explained in detail, imo.
I also recommend the âProfessional Cake Decoratingâ by Toba Garrett it will tell you everything step by step.

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 11:29pm
post #5 of 8

I don't have a scratch yellow cake recipe yet, but I second the Cake Bible. It is awesome.

The "Dark Chocolate Cake" recipe here on CC is great for a chocolate cake.

yvette131 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yvette131 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 2:35am
post #6 of 8

thanks- i have the confetti cakes book and toba garretts book but i dont have the cake bible. i have made both of their cakes but they are not as buttery as the cake mix box. Im going to try sylvia weinstocks recipe next. if not i may just stick to cake box mixes.

maximaa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadiepix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadiepix Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 3:31am
post #8 of 8

There are great yellow cake recipes out there, it just takes some experimentation! What one person loves, another will find less than great.

I have a yellow cake from a 1960's cookbook that I swear by, but not everyone loves it as much as me.

Try a bunch! Unlike white cake, which can be so darn hard to get right (at least for me! icon_smile.gif ) yellow (among others) is imho easy to get right and buttery good!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%