Using Candy Molds For Fondant Accents

Decorating By ZAKIA6 Updated 27 Jul 2008 , 2:20am by ZAKIA6

ZAKIA6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZAKIA6 Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 1:30am
post #1 of 6

Hi All,

I just bought some candy/soap molds and want to use them to mold some fondant accents for a cake im making next week.

My question is do i need to prep the mold first so that the fondant figure comes right out or can i just use as is. If i have to prep it what should i use?
I'm just scared that i wont be able to get the fondant out of the mold.

TIA
Zakia

5 replies
janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 2:01am
post #2 of 6

I had the exact same idea a while back - I did not prep the molds and I couldn't get the fondant out. so I would definately prep with either crisco or powder sugar/corn starch.

Let me know how they turn out - I haven't tried it agian. GOOD LUCK!!

ZAKIA6 Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 2:06am
post #3 of 6

thanks!.
it never dawned on me to use cornstarch. i dont know why i had baking spray in my head. that would have been a disaster icon_sad.gif

mandm78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandm78 Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 2:10am
post #4 of 6

I've used soap molds. I just dusted them with either corn starch or powdered sugar and they popped right out. Then I dusted off with a dry pastry brush to take off the excess powder/starch.

kimblyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 2:14am
post #5 of 6

Sometimes I just stick mine into the freezer for a couple of minutes and they pop right out. Just don't be too rough with the cold molds, they can get brittle and might crack if you are not careful.

The easiest molds I have ever used are made of silicone. You can find them near the clay supplies. They are also sold on-line specifically for fondant if you are worried about food safety.

HTH

Kim

ZAKIA6 Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 2:20am
post #6 of 6

the store i went to did have silcone molds. but it only had 4 cavities. i figured i could save time if i used the candy mold which as 12-16 cavities.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%