Shiney Ganache?

Decorating By danar217 Updated 1 Aug 2008 , 1:44pm by cheftaz

danar217 Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 1:24am
post #1 of 15

I made whipped ganached for the first time and while it taste absolutely great, it didn't look great. I used a recipe on here, just equal parts of chocolate and heavy whipping cream. I used ghiradelli chocolate. Let it get cold and then whipped it. It piped nice but looked almost grainey. It had a very smooth taste and was creamy and delicious but looked gross. What did I do wrong. I see such beautiful ganache covered cakes on here with shiney/glossy borders. Help!

14 replies
lalakanosho Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 2:25am
post #2 of 15

ganche is actually pretty simple. I use equally part of regular whipping cream and a good chocolate (weighed out i.e. 8oz container of whipping cream 8 oz of chocolate using a counter scale) this prevents it from being see through when you pour it on. i use a tsp of butter and whisk the ingredients over a low heat to keep it from separating. at the end I add a tbsp of clear Corn syrup for extra shine. If you want to get really particular you can run the whole thing through a stainer to remove any extra particles from the chocolate morsels (you would be surprised at what you get out of there sometimes). you can let it cool a little if you want to use it for piping it will thicken as it cools

JoAnnB Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 4:19am
post #3 of 15

If you over-whip whipped ganache, it will start to break down and look grainy. I generally use a large whisk to avoid over beating. It won't hurt the taste, but it isn't very pretty. you can fix it, by very gently remelting it in a bowl over hot (not boiling) water. when it has melted smooth, start again, chilling and re-beating.

To avoid over beating, when it is just melted, I whisk if for a minute just to be sure it is smooth. I chill it for 5-10 minutes, then whisk it a few times, then re-chill. Repeating until it starts to whip and hold shape.

miki015mira Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 7:39pm
post #4 of 15

heawy cream,water,chocolate,cocoa powder,sugar...try this out thumbs_up.gif

luvscakes Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 10:29pm
post #5 of 15

Hi- are you beating it with say a mixer? Like whipping it?
If so that is part of the problem. The ganache you are speaking of that is shiny is poured- as in make it let it cool a bit and then pour it on your cake.
Careful! It is hard to smooth and you really only have one chance for your spatula to touch it before it will leave marks!

danar217 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 10:35pm
post #6 of 15

Yes, I beat it with a wire whisk attachment but that's what the recipe said to use. I've seen piped ganache (like on a border) that was very shiney looking and it wasn't poured. Guess I need to just keep trying. SHould I just whip it up by hand?

luvscakes Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 11:54pm
post #7 of 15

Yes, wisk it a little by hand and then let it cool/ stand to thicken. You should be able to pipe it nice and shiny then!
Good luck!

gateaux Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 12:23am
post #8 of 15

I would not use a whisk I would just use a spatula if you want to pipe it. The other thing you can do is to alternate the recipe and use more chocolate than cream. That way when you whip it up it will keep it's shape better with less whipping.

HTH.

Good Luck.

gabbenmom Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 12:26am
post #9 of 15

When I make the whipped ganache from here, I use the kitchen aid to whip it just like you would for whipped cream. I have piped with it and frosted a little with it, but have never had it be shiny like a poured ganache. I think if you chill it a little (a regular ganache) you can pipe with it when it is a little thicker. I typically use the whipped ganache for a filling and then drizzle a regular ganache on top. I hope that wasn't too confusing!!! The whipped white chocolate ganache is the yummiest!!!!

bertha_cherie Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 1:23am
post #10 of 15

There two types of ganache, a regular ganache and a whipped ganache. For the shiny color and to pour over a cake, it's the regular ganache. the color of whipped ganache is not gonna be shiny, but it's gonna be dull, more like a chocolate whipped cream. you can pipe both ganaches for borders but the color and texture will be different.

whipping the ganache meaning incorporating air and therefore, the texture will be light and airy just like how whipped cream should be. Regular ganache will have a smooth texture and the deep chocolate color.

You can whip it using a hand whisk or mixer, but be careful though. whipped ganache thicken very quick, so it's very easy to be overwhipped. I usually do it by hand, but use a low speed if you're using stand mixer. And stop the mixer when it's almost stiff and you can continue by hand mixer for final mixing. 2 mixes over can cause it to be overwhipped, so watch out.

danar217 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 3:39am
post #11 of 15

So maybe I don't even have to whip it?? If I just make a ganache and let it cool, will I be able to pipe it. I want that nice fudgy taste, not the whipped. I thought I had to whip it to pipe it. I just want to do a very simple border with it.

Thanks for all the help!

bertha_cherie Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 3:56am
post #12 of 15

yup, you don't have to whip it if you want that fudgy taste. Ganache will stiffen after it's cooled. If you refrigerate it for too long, it can be too stiff, but you can always let it stand at room temperature until it's soft enough to be piped.

Have fun anf good luck! icon_smile.gif

bertha
www.gourmetbaking.blogspot.com

cheftaz Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 1:43pm
post #13 of 15

deleted

cheftaz Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 1:43pm
post #14 of 15

deleted

cheftaz Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 1:44pm
post #15 of 15

This is my ganache piped unwhipped....rich and shiney