Pattern On The Side Of Cake

Decorating By aunt_dodo Updated 27 Jul 2008 , 11:16pm by Bakingangel

aunt_dodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aunt_dodo Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 1:21am
post #1 of 8

I see lots of cakes done with the pattern on the side of the cake that looks like a bunch of diamonds with either a fondant ball or edible bead in each corner. I have a cake order that one layer of the cake has this pattern. I am wondering if anyone has any tips or instructions for doing this, and doing it correctly. I have to do this cake this weekend....Help!!

7 replies
Tallmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tallmama Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 1:30am
post #2 of 8

You use an impression mat. You can get them on most cake supply sites

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 1:57am
post #3 of 8

Tallmama, I doubt if there is a good cake supply store where you live. I'm originally from AZ.

If you don't have time to order a mat, you can use a simple wooden skewer stick and make your own parallel lines going in one direction around the cake and then the opposite direction to get a diamond pattern. Just use a #4or 5 tip to put a dot where the lines intersect to make it look like a pearl. A little harder this way but if you take your time you can do it. Good luck.

There are lots of different patterns available in mats swirls, lines, vines, etc.

Tallmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tallmama Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 3:30am
post #4 of 8

You are right I have to get most of my stuff online. I wish that weren't the case but it is.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 5:31am
post #5 of 8

Without an impression mat, the easiest way is to use a right triangle (I usually cut mine out of an old manila folder) as a guide, and use a wheel along the long edge to make the impression at even intervals around the cake. Then flip the triangle the other way and go around the cake in the opposite direction. I prefer this method because you can control how small or large the pattern is without having to purchase multiple mats and there's never any issue with lining up "seams" at the back of the cake.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 12:41pm
post #6 of 8

I've used the skewer/stick method. You just need to have a good eye to make sure the diamonds are the same size and that you lay the stick at the same angle. It's really not that hard, but just be aware of it.

Here's the cake I did it on.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55969028@N00/2523486824/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/55969028@N00/2523486748/ (close up)

jillycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillycakes Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 1:03pm
post #7 of 8

You could always cut diamonds out of fondant w/ a cookie cutter. Here is a cake I did that has a layer like this. I painted the diamonds w/ pearl luster dust and used gold dragees at each intersecting corner.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1222453

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 11:16pm
post #8 of 8

Pink Ziab that's a GREAT idea! Much easier! If you cut out a smaller right angle on the inside (like a protactor but a right angle instead), you could mark a short slanted parallel line to line up for the next full line. It would insure consistant spacing. Hard to explain wish I could draw a picture.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%