Help With Pricing This Cake

Business By mom23boys Updated 27 Jul 2008 , 3:10am by costumeczar

mom23boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom23boys Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 12:00am
post #1 of 3

Hello

I"m not new to cake decorating, but I'm new to pricing and selling my cakes. I just had a request for a cake to feed 35 people, decorated to look like a Hi-5 DVD cover (photo attached).
I'm thinking that it is going to take a LOT of time to pipe all of the details (at least 4 hours to decorate?)...
The woman would like a price quote ASAP and has already said that she'd be willing to buy cakes for her other three children...so, I'd absolutely any and all help that you guys can give me.

Thanks!!
LL

2 replies
fluttercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fluttercakes Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 1:48am
post #2 of 3

Good Lord, that's gonna be alot of detail work! I have a cake due in two weeks that is going to feed 35-40 ppl, and it is going to have quite a bunch of gumpaste items on it (tiny vineyard, a well, some trees, a plaque with the birthday wishes on it, and a bunch of rocks and grass along with a waterfall), so I charged $5.75/serving. I would think you should charge close to this or maybe a bit more since it looks like a huge PITA detail work on your part!

I hope this helps, and keep us updated!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 3:10am
post #3 of 3

If you can draw (or trace it somehow) you could just paint it on a piece of fondant with food coloring or food coloring pens. I'd charge at least $5 a serving for that amount of work.

But then to throw a wrench in the works, I wouldn't do it because it's a copyright issue. Could you suggest something else that goes along with the same theme but isn't a copy of the picture? I don't know anything about that DVD series, but maybe you could ask the mom if there's something else you could do that would represent the video. If she hears what you'd charge to do it she might be more agreeable to the idea of simplifying!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%