What Do You Do When A Customer Does A No Show?

Business By sugarcheryl Updated 29 Jul 2008 , 5:37pm by poshcakedesigns

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 9:52pm
post #1 of 16

I hate when people waste your time, product. Someone calls an order a cake for a birthday. No call no nothing. I know it was only $40 but still.

How do you handle these situation? I see why people put a minimum and deposits but how can I trying to build. Any suggestion?

15 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 10:03pm
post #2 of 16

Get your money up front. That's the only way to avoid the situation.

APrettyCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
APrettyCake Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 10:14pm
post #3 of 16

Eat the cake icon_biggrin.gif

doughdough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doughdough Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 10:21pm
post #4 of 16

Bummer! Hopefully this will be a lesson learned, and thankfully is was only a small order!!

Take some pictures for your portfolio, and then maybe donate it somewhere to get your name out there. Turn a negative into a positive!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 10:40pm
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleym

Get your money up front. That's the only way to avoid the situation.

Ditto!! I won't turn my oven on unless I have been paid in full for a cake. It is my policy that you pay up 4 weeks before your event and if you order beyond that then full payment in cash is due up front to book your cake.

It's not worth the hassle to chase people down for money after you have baked a cake.. this way you will never lose money making a cake for someone who couldn't be bothered to remember because when someone has paid for something.. they rarely forget about it.

jo_ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo_ann Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 10:56pm
post #6 of 16

I in the last year instituted a 50% deposit on all cakes, No checks accepted at all and American money only(I live on the American/Canadian border). It stinks but I am tired of dealing with all of these issues. And I do not turn my oven on for less than $60.00.

Cakenator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakenator Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 11:05pm
post #7 of 16

I cut the cake up and sell slices of it for $1 out of our retail front. Its kind of an on going joke with our customers.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 11:16pm
post #8 of 16

This happened to me once. ONLY once. I learned my lesson, and require 50% to reserve the date!

sugarcheryl Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 2:58am
post #9 of 16

Thanks guys. I learned my lesson. I'm going to donate to my church but every time I think about it it just burns me up.

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 3:14am
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcheryl

Thanks guys. I learned my lesson. I'm going to donate to my church but every time I think about it it just burns me up.

I'd be boiling, as well! Sorry this happened to you. I don't know all your specifics but make sure you remember who this "customer" is so if she has the "hem-hems" to call and order another time, you don't sell to her!
CAKE NAZI in effect---"NO CAKE FOR YOU!!" ala Seinfeld icon_lol.gif

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 3:40am
post #11 of 16

The only no-show I have ever had in 20 years and over 2000 cakes was when the birthday child got chicken pox and the mom called everyone except me when she cancelled the party. I called her when she was an hour late and she was so apologetic. She came to pick up the cake and they served it after dinner just for the family. So really, she wasn't a no-show, she was just late. icon_smile.gif

My clients have always paid when they pick up the cake, except for weddings, but that's a whole other situation. I never take orders from complete strangers out of the blue. Anyone who calls me needs to be able to tell me who referred them to me. And I never take orders by email, period.

ugetsnun2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ugetsnun2 Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 3:42am
post #12 of 16

I had this happen to me once. I'm a Wilton Instructor and though I don't bake for profit, sometimes I'll get the "out of the blue" call for a cake. Well, I made a cake for my friend who happens to be a chef. He had a client that needed a cake which is not his speciality. Some guest at the event called me up as a "referral from my friend" wanting a 3 tier peacock theamed, turquoise cake. I gave her a price quote, which she said was fine. I purchased all the supplies never to hear from this person again....Since then, I've learned my lesson!

mgdsue02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdsue02 Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 4:01am
post #13 of 16

I haven't had it happen yet, but think I may ask for 50% up front just to be on the safe side.

Sugarfrosted, I love Alton Brown!!

sugarcheryl Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 11:26am
post #14 of 16

I guess I thought I could trust her. She said she tasted my cake at church because I do cakes for them and that she wanted a pink ribbon because she was a cancer survivor she was a new customer but it's okay I just know now deposit please or no cake. Thanks again for hearing me out.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 7:07pm
post #15 of 16

I too had this happen to me just once and now require a deposit. Its funny when they have money involved...even if its just a deposit, they manage to show up.

I don't get why people even order cakes and not show up. Do they think we just sit around all day and make cakes? (wait a minute, I guess we do....)

I also love Alton Brown!

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 5:37pm
post #16 of 16

I only had this happen one time and that was enough for me.

Now deposit up front and cake is to be paid in full 2 weeks before delivery day. If delivery day is within a few days and I can squeeze them in I require the full payment up front.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%