Is This Your Cake?

Decorating By January202 Updated 27 Jul 2008 , 4:35am by armywifebryan

January202 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
January202 Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 8:11pm
post #1 of 9

Someone e-mailed me a picture of this beautiful cake, to use as inspiration for a tropical/luau-themed cake. I would love to acknowledge the creator of this cake when I use it as inspiration, but the girl who sent me the picture does not know where it was found. And I certainly would not want to upset anyone by making a cake similar to theirs, if they were not okay with that.

I also had a few questions about the cake itself. Maybe someone can offer some hints? I am assuming that the color is airbrushed onto the fondant...what do you think? Also, the ferns are very realistic looking...are they food-safe? The cake I would like to make will be three layers - 12". 10", and 8". It needs to feed about 100 people. Thanks to leahs I will be using SPS (for the first time) to stack the cake. I will also be putting approximately one dozen gumpaste hibiscus flowers on the cake. Bottom layer will be chocolate with butter cream filling, top two layers will be vanilla with butter cream filling. All three layers covered in fondant. Now comes the big question: What would you charge for such a creation?

Thanks in advance for all of your advice and comments. And if this is your cake, do you mind if I use it as inspiration? I would LOVE to acknowledge the creator.
LL

8 replies
zuya15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zuya15 Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 8:35pm
post #2 of 9

It's a cake from Charm City cakes.

BellaSweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BellaSweet Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 8:38pm
post #3 of 9

In my opinion, if you allow your cake picture to go public, you kinda let go of the rights to not let it be replicatd. I mean, I don't know of many people who copyright ther cakes. If someone wanted to make one of my cakes, I would be completely flattered. Like I said, in my opinion.

pinkbiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkbiz Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 8:41pm
post #4 of 9

milliegonza did an exact cake like that she is a CC member so maybe you can pm her for direccions its in the Quinceanera Gallery i have it in my favs cause i loved it!! good luck

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 8:42pm
post #5 of 9

I agree--it's a copy of one of Duff's cakes. You can find his on the charm city cakes website.

veronica970206 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronica970206 Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 8:55pm
post #6 of 9

This question has nothing to do with the pic, but a 12, 10 and 8 inch cake would feed 100 people?

As far as the cake, that is a nice looking cake, I love the colors, kinda reminds me of a sunset. I do think it is aurbrushed, the way the colors flow like that together, unless they got mad skills in painting, LOL>

I wish you all the best with making this cake.

Sincerely,
Veronica

mrswatkins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswatkins Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 9:02pm
post #7 of 9

its cake number 51 out of 94 called "Jungle" on CCC its in the not so traditional section.

January202 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
January202 Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 2:28am
post #8 of 9

Thank you very much to everyone who answered. Now that I know Duff's team made the cake, I wonder if I could charge his minimum price per order of $1,000!! icon_biggrin.gif Just kidding, but wouldn't it be nice to be that in-demand? Anyone have any suggestions as to what I could charge for this cake using the specifications I mentioned in my original post? (size of tiers, airbrushing, gumpaste hibiscus, etc.) Thanks again for everyone's input!

armywifebryan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywifebryan Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 4:35am
post #9 of 9

Well, figure out how much a serving costs in your area. Usually somewhere between $2.00 and $4.00. Then just add in how much you think your time is worth. How long does it take you to make the cake. Whatever you do....just make sure you get back what you pay out for supplies. Not really worth it if you are spending more than you are making! Good luck. HTH

Teresa

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%