Sizes For Offset Squares

Decorating By CheriN Updated 26 Jul 2008 , 11:36pm by indydebi

CheriN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CheriN Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 7:27pm
post #1 of 7

What sizes of square pans do you use to have them offset of eachother... square... diamond... square? I have to make a 3 tier wedding cake and I am not sure what sizes will fit on top of others... TIA!

6 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 9:19pm
post #2 of 7

You have to have more than 2" difference. Meaning you can't use 12/10/8. If you measure the 10" from side to side, it's 10". But if you measure it point to point, it's 14" across, so it won't fit on a 12" cake if you stack the cakes diamond/square/diamond.

Measure the pans point to point (or stack them on your counter) to see what works best. If they are not ordering enough cake for the larger sizes, you might try talking them into setting the cakes "slightly askew", meaning turned slightly like a winding staircase. Here's a pic of what I mean (coz I'm not sure I'm explaining it right icon_redface.gif ): http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1199535

CheriN Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 10:30pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks indydebi! the cake is not going to be the main dessert so I don't think the size will matter. So, if I do a 12 inch as the base then I would have to do a 8 inch and a 4 inch?

indydebi Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 11:17pm
post #4 of 7

I would.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 11:19pm
post #5 of 7

No that won't work. You have to measure. Because you want some room for a border too.

CheriN Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 11:25pm
post #6 of 7

ok... thanks everyone

indydebi Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 11:36pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

No that won't work. You have to measure. Because you want some room for a border too.

excellent point!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%