Chocolate Cake

Baking By something_sweet Updated 27 Jul 2008 , 4:41am by something_sweet

something_sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
something_sweet Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 12:24pm
post #1 of 6

Does anyone know how to take a white cake mix and make it chocolate? I have a very small marble cake to do, and I don't want to have to make 2 cake mixes. I have read somewhere to just add unsweetened cocoa powder? Any other suggestions? Thanks!!!

5 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 2:31pm
post #2 of 6

If you add more dry ingredient, you should probably add add'l liquid to offset it or the cake will be too dry .. or the batter too thick to bake properly.

I have a cookie recipe that I make vanilla and chocolate. The chocolate version's flour/cocoa quantity is the same as the vanilla's flour-only quantity. (16 cups of flour for the vanilla ..... 13 cups flour + 3 cups cocoa for the chocolate version).

something_sweet Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 8:58pm
post #3 of 6

Hmmm.... I am only making a 6" cake, so I don't need that much batter... but you are right about adding liquid to match the dry ingredients.

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 9:20pm
post #4 of 6

If you're doing that small an ammount, you might not need to add the liquid. If the chocolate is a little denser from the cocoa powder, it'll be less inclined to mix into an indistinct mass in the oven. You could also try adding melted chocolate--I'd go with a bittersweet or semi-sweet, or it'll be TOO sweet--because that would have a certain ammount of liquid in it just from the melted fats.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 9:26pm
post #5 of 6

Melted chocolate ... great idea!!

something_sweet Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 4:41am
post #6 of 6

Great thanks!
And that is what I was going to do, but I didn't have any chocolate in the house, just cocoa powder. I only made about 1/2 the batter chocolate and I added 2 TBSP of Cocoa powder, 1 TBSP of milk, and a heaping TBSP of Hot fudge ice cream topping. I thought it turned out good! I had enough extra to make 3 cupcakes, so me and DH got to try them. icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%