Those Crazy Cakes Overdecorated W/ Chocolate Transfers.

Decorating By dandelion56602 Updated 30 Jul 2008 , 10:19pm by PJ37

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 6:25am
post #1 of 18

I hope someone has a link to what I'm talking about. I've never bookmarked them b/c I haven't really liked them, but thought about doing one for a cake I'm donating.

The cakes are overly decorated w/ chocolate transfer swirls, zig zags, small panels, etc & I mean they are all over it. Can we say PARTY is definitely a theme w/ these? Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

17 replies
MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 9:57am
post #2 of 18

This one?

http://www.frostingwithflair.com/html/cakes/html/multi/index.html

I personally love their work, but then I'm a big fan of choc transfers, they take real skill, and I wish I could be this good!

and of course the very talented ladies at Whimsical Bakehouse use a lot of chocolate transfer work too:

http://www.whimsicalbakehouse.com/gallery/gallery.html

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 10:36am
post #3 of 18

WOW! Both those sites are FABULOUS !

dandelion56602 Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 4:10pm
post #4 of 18

No, I like the WBH. These are almost completely covered w/ it. Imagine a big explosion & that's about what the cake looks like. I don't think an inch of the cake is visible, it's really over the top. I've seen them mainly as bday cakes.

AmyGonzalez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyGonzalez Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 5:45pm
post #5 of 18

Wow! icon_eek.gif I can't ever imagine even being a fraction as good as those in those 2 websites. Absolutely phenominal cakes!!!!!!!! I agree with bonjovibabe, It takes an extreme amount of skill and talent to do that kind of work! I envy them. icon_lol.gif

PJ37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PJ37 Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 6:29pm
post #6 of 18

Bonjovibabe,
Love your chocolate transfers...I have had moderate success with them, but struggle with the outlining. Do you have any suggestions for making the outlines that you'd like to share?

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 10:35pm
post #8 of 18
AmyGonzalez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyGonzalez Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 10:55pm
post #9 of 18

Wow, merissa those cakes are insane! icon_eek.gif

PJ37 Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 1:27am
post #10 of 18

Merissa,
Great cakes! Thanks for sharing the site!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 2:36am
post #11 of 18

I've seen those cakes, they'd be pretty easy to do. I've done a few with the chocolate transfers, and you can do them ahead of time then slap them on the cake when you're ready to decorate, no smooth icing needed! I just did one recently that was "Lost" themed cake, and it was an island with chocolate transfers of all of the characters in the show around the base of the island.

The girl who bought the cake said that one of the party guests grabbed Desmond off the cake and bit part of his head off before she could take the picture! Can't say I blame her! thumbs_up.gif

dandelion56602 Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 4:08am
post #12 of 18

Woo hoo!!! Merisa, that's what I'm talking about, but there's still one somewhere that has lots of blue, yellow, green, red, orange, etc. that (believe it or not) are crazier than those! But these are what I'm talking about

ETA:
How do you think they make those spikey things? Do you think they make them like cigarellos?

Kim_in_CajunCountry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 4:55am
post #13 of 18

You might want to check out the cakes from www.rosebudcakes.com. They have some of their cakes on their website, but you can see all of their cakes on Flickr, which is the link I've provided.

http://flickr.com/photos/14559934@N04/

MikeRowesHunny Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 7:48am
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ37

Bonjovibabe,
Love your chocolate transfers...I have had moderate success with them, but struggle with the outlining. Do you have any suggestions for making the outlines that you'd like to share?

I'm still trying to improve with that one myself! I want to be able to do more delicate work like those sites I posted! I was told by another CCer who does excellent transfer work to make the dark chocolate seize up just a little bit by put a drop of water in the chocolate and stirring really well so that it just thickens up slightly. It helps the outline keep it's shape and gives you a thinner outline too. The hole in your cone is important - make it as tiny as you can. Good luck!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 11:42am
post #15 of 18

do you use parchment or plastic bags when working with transfers?

MikeRowesHunny Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 11:49am
post #16 of 18

I use parchment bags because I can just bin them - when I have a lul in the cake orders, I sit in front of the TV and make up a whole 100ct box of the triangles up ready to go!). They seem to use cones made from cellophane at WBH (look at the stunning portrait done in the step-by-step section on their website), and I'm wondering if you can cut an even tinier hole in those? Hmmmm, may have to give that a shot for my outline cones!

dandelion56602 Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 10:13pm
post #17 of 18

I just looked at their Chocolate portrait :O. Ever since seeing their cellophane bags I have used them & love them WAAAY more than parchment b/c you can get a hole that virtually isn't visable! I also use cellophane bags to do smaller detail w/ RI on my cookies. Use them & you'll never look back

PJ37 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 10:19pm
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovibabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ37

Bonjovibabe,

I'm still trying to improve with that one myself! I want to be able to do more delicate work like those sites I posted! I was told by another CCer who does excellent transfer work to make the dark chocolate seize up just a little bit by put a drop of water in the chocolate and stirring really well so that it just thickens up slightly. It helps the outline keep it's shape and gives you a thinner outline too. The hole in your cone is important - make it as tiny as you can. Good luck!

Thanks Bonjovibabe...so, seize the chocolate and use cellophane bags...any other suggestions out there? (Don't mean to highjack the thread, but this is helpful info.) icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%