What Causes Colored Mmf To Fade?

Decorating By caramelchef Updated 28 Jul 2008 , 4:12am by smbegg

caramelchef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caramelchef Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 5:20am
post #1 of 8

I did a cake this week with colored MMF and after about 12 hours the colored accents started to fade. What caused that and what can i do or not do to stop this from happening again?

7 replies
LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 5:27am
post #2 of 8

Light usually - did you have it in sunlight or bright lights? Other than that, I'm not really sure how to stop it.

Joyful1216 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyful1216 Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 12:57pm
post #3 of 8

I just noticed this for the first time this week! I was using Wilton violet gel, I've not noticed it using any of the other colors (all Wilton), all in the same setting. But after a day the violet was blue-gray.

tammy712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammy712 Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 1:19pm
post #4 of 8

joyful1216 I was always told if you use water in your icing the wilton violet will turn blue.

CuteCakeName Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CuteCakeName Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 1:47pm
post #5 of 8

I think it has to do with the red in the color (blue + red = purple). I remember indydebi was very informative on this subject, here's what I can recall... all those years ago when they had to take Red No. (7?) off the market, they replaced with a safer but less stable colorant. Most of the time, you get a red food coloring that is perfectly fine, and will last without a problem. But sometimes, out of the nowhere, you get an unstable one that will fade. That's why you ended up with a bluish color, the red got all sucked out icon_smile.gif

Hope that helps!
Heather

Joyful1216 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyful1216 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 2:49am
post #6 of 8

Thanks for the troubleshooting! I think both are possible in my case. Is it adding water after the mmf is rested, or just having water in the recipe at all? I'll have to look for another recipe, I think I saw one here using milk.

That is really interesting about how some may be less stable, and it makes so much sense! So I guess my other next step is to buy new color icon_smile.gif

tammy712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammy712 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 3:54am
post #7 of 8

The wilton violet reacts to water in the icing or fondant. I have used Americolor violet and it doesn't do that. Hope that helps.
Tammy

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 4:12am
post #8 of 8

I have had that problem with pinks. It was almost like the color sank in the mmf??? It happened with two cakes in a row. I used Americolor.

It was really weird

Stephanie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%