Because Sometimes...

Decorating By CakesbyBecca Updated 27 Jul 2008 , 2:35pm by Mac

CakesbyBecca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyBecca Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 4:46am
post #1 of 7

I woke up this morning and my first thoughts were of cake. When that didn't stop within a couple minutes, I knew I would have to bake something or I would be dying to bake all day and that would make me cranky. So out of bed and straight into the kitchen I went. It was really fun making something without any stress because it was just for us. The kids were able to help me because I didn't have to worry about germs or hairs or anything icon_smile.gif. I also knew that if anything went wrong, we would either end up with no cake or a bunch of cake pieces, but no harm done. My daughter picked strawberry cake. My son picked french vanilla, so we made one strawberry layer, one french vanilla layer and one swirl icon_biggrin.gif . I frosted it with banana flavored bc. Here's my final outcome. As always, it was a learning experience, and yes, that little bulge is a dowel I didn't cut short enough and thought I could cover up. My bc was nice and smooth until I kept changing my mind about the placement of the flowers and tried smoothing over the flowers I didn't want. But, like I said, this was just for us and I learned alot. Thanks for looking!

UGH! My pictures too big to post and we don't have the right software to shrink it icon_sad.gif. It's in my photos.

Becca

6 replies
Shola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shola Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 5:24am
post #2 of 7

The cake looks lovely and sounds yum! I can't wait 'till my DD is old enough to help me make a mess in the kitchen! icon_biggrin.gif

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 4:34pm
post #3 of 7

Sounds tasty! In our family we have birthday cake protocol. icon_biggrin.gif Since I always end up making more than one birthday cake (one for the actual day and another for whenever we have the party with friends) On the actual day of the birthday I get a cake ready to be decorated (baked, filled, frosted with a plain coat of buttercream in whatever color the kid wants).

Then I color some more frosting (their choice) and let them go crazy with it! It gives my kids an opportunity to decorate the cake without me worrying about the stuff you mentioned.

And it gets me bonus points with the kiddos! lol

CakesbyBecca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyBecca Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 8:05pm
post #4 of 7

Fran, that is a GREAT idea! I may just have to borrow it icon_smile.gif

Becca

pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 12:59pm
post #5 of 7

That is a lovely cake and a great story. I love when kids get to help with the baking. Unfortuately my son never took to helping me in the kitchen, except to eat the cake scraps. icon_smile.gif He's 17 now and only limits himself to the chocolate cake scraps.

Sounds like you had a wonderful day.

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 1:14pm
post #6 of 7

great story or stories icon_smile.gif Fran, I do the same as you when it comes to a cake on the day of and then a special one for the party. I usually do a cake I have been wanting to do for the day of just to get practice and then something more familiar on party day....

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 2:35pm
post #7 of 7

Love what you wrote on it. And you are so right... "Sometimes Life Demands Cake"

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%