Originally Posted by varika

Like...cake is an acceptable risk for me! thumbs_up.gif

Ditto!

moreCakePlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moreCakePlz Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 10:53pm
post #182 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbaby612

I This restaurant was known for throwing peanut shells on the floor. After a while I noticed they had the tiny roaches in the kitchen. The cabinet like place they stored the garbage cans where the plates were cleaned was so nasty, then at the end of the night, someone had to CRAWL in there and clean it. The pipes in the bar had drain fly larva in it. That was 5 years ago and this restaurant JUST closed. There are other locations open however.

I was wondering why that restaurant closed. icon_eek.gif

How about another disgusting restaurant story? My brother is a fireman and he responded to a kitchen fire at a Chinese restaurant. He sprayed the grease fire with some kind of chemical extinguisher and in the process soaked an open box of raw chicken breasts. After the fire was out, the owner of the restaurant started washing the goop off the chicken breast. My brother told the owner that the chicken had to be thrown out, the owner refused saying the chicken was still good and he intended to use it.

It gives me the creeps thinking about all the unsanitary stuff that goes on in some restaurant kitchens. Did you see the episode of 60 minutes where the dishwashers were peeing in the ice machines? Yuck!

sweetsbyJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsbyJ Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 9:01pm
post #183 of 219

Okay, so I skipped a bunch of pages b/c there were too many!
But I just wanted to say..I thought it was a funny story! I dont know why a lot of people got on her case..then again Im an animal lover icon_lol.gif

I worked at a cake shop and I saw some more nasty things going on then a cat licking a cake IMO!!...for example, I had this co worker that was painting Tommy on a cake (Rugrats-yes this was a while back). Instead of using water with her paintbrush she used her saliva..she would lick the paintbrush clean after every stroke....on the WHOLE entire cake..it was the most gross thing I had ever seen..I told my manager and the owner and they didnt think it was a big deal and still sold the cake to the customer!!!

Then again, who knows, maybe that's not gross for some people....just my 2 cents icon_biggrin.gif

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 12:43am
post #184 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyTheCake

Turns out he didn't do it which only left a cat getting on the table and creatively eating 2 bits that looked like a heart. The cake was salvageable as I had to cut it off anyway.

Salvageable???? icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gif

I hope this was a cake that was not being sold.

Ariginal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ariginal Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 1:03am
post #185 of 219

I had a cake that loved my kahlua mudcake ... he wouldnt eat plain mudcake it was only the kahlua but luckily for me and him he never helped himself to the actual cake he waited for when i did my trimming etc for any crumbs that fell to the floor hehe or now and again i would hand him a piece... such a good pussy oohhh i miss him..

EnjoyTheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EnjoyTheCake Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 6:13pm
post #186 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake_Princess

The salvaged cake was the cake I was making for my husband and I. I wanted to practice some techniques.

*sigh*

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 7:11pm
post #187 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyTheCake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake_Princess

The salvaged cake was the cake I was making for my husband and I. I wanted to practice some techniques.

*sigh*

*patpat*

Ariginal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ariginal Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 9:23pm
post #188 of 219

hehe i just realised i said cake that loved my kahlua mudcake and of course i meant my CAT hehe... brain frizzles with early mornings feeding calves and milking ahh well never mind

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 10:49pm
post #189 of 219

Ok, yesterday I had surgery and am basically not allowed to do anything...I came across this thread today and I have to say it has been the most interesting one in a long time.

My cat is never around when I make anything, however he seems to find his way nearby after the food is done. He loves green olives, pasta, peas, lima beans (yuck) and mandarine (spelling) oranges along with many other things. However he hates cake, imagine that.

There is a local steak house that throws their peanut shells on the floor if it's easy access for them or else it goes in trash cans that are placed around the dining areas. I think that's a bit much in a restaurant because of the bugs issue too. Who wants a trash can 5 feet from them when they go out to eat at a restaurant?

Well, I can't say I totally agree or disagree with everything that's been mentioned in this thread. Generally everyone who has pets would "knowingly" keep their pets off the food. I'd assume anyways.

Thanks for giving me a good laugh during recovery!!

banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 11:32pm
post #190 of 219

pets eating cakes, this always amazes me that this happens to pet owners.

Who on earth would leave a cake anywhere that their pet could gain access to it?

Do you not appreciate your own hard work enough to protect it from your furry friends.

Or do you really think that your pet is trustworthy enough to overcome it's basic instincts!

varika Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 2:03am
post #191 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by banba

pets eating cakes, this always amazes me that this happens to pet owners.

Who on earth would leave a cake anywhere that their pet could gain access to it?

Do you not appreciate your own hard work enough to protect it from your furry friends.

Or do you really think that your pet is trustworthy enough to overcome it's basic instincts!

Clearly, you don't have a pet. There are very few places that a pet cannot get. I've had my cats get into the cabinets above the fridge, under the sink, into the pantry--my cats even scared the bejeezus out of us one night because they OPENED THE BACK DOOR. (My brother had left it latched but not locked; we no longer make that mistake.)

The only real solution is to put the cake in a locking cake caddy, because not even a box will keep a clever animal out, and that's just not POSSIBLE when you're trying to COOL the cake.

And keep in mind that not every kitchen has a door on it; ours not only has no door but is open to the dining room and the living room as well, so there is literally not a snowball's chance of keeping a pet out.

banba Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 2:08am
post #192 of 219

I do have a pet and when baked goods are out on the counter so is the dog out the backyard or out of the kitchen.

How can you keep your baked goods free from pet contamination if you can't keep your cake away from your pets?

banba Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 2:10am
post #193 of 219

I am a pet lover so please don't get me wrong but at the end of the day

I rule the roost

not my pets and

there are rules!

varika Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 2:22am
post #194 of 219
Quote:

I am a pet lover so please don't get me wrong but at the end of the day

I rule the roost

not my pets and

there are rules!

So...YOUR pet is trustworthy enough to "overcome it's basic instincts," then, and nobody else's are?

There are rules in my house, too. Which include "STAY OFF THE TABLES AND COUNTERS." And they generally do. However, just like people, sometimes they BREAK THE RULES. Just like children or husbands.

I sincerely hope someday your dog gets your fridge door open and devours half the contents. Maybe then you'd be a little less holier-than-thou on the subject.

banba Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 2:39am
post #195 of 219

I am not being holier than thou in any way at all. I can't think why you have gotten so upset!

I am just confused as to how anybody can keep pet contamination away from their cakes if they cannot keep them away from their pets. Unless I am missing something logically here.

My pet's basic instincts are not compromised as I don't have him in the vacinity of my cakes.

He doesn't have to decide if he should eat the cake or not, I do it for him by confining either him or the cake, same as kids and husbands!

I mean if you or somebody else has come up with a better way of dealing with pets and cakes other than securely separating them I really would love to know.

I find it utterly unacceptable to think that an unsuspecting customer could be eating a cake that was a little too close to animals.

EnjoyTheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EnjoyTheCake Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 2:55am
post #196 of 219
Quote:

I am not being holier than thou in any way at all. I can't think why you have gotten so upset!

I am just confused as to how anybody can keep pet contamination away from their cakes if they cannot keep them away from their pets. Unless I am missing something logically here.

My pet's basic instincts are not compromised as I don't have him in the vacinity of my cakes.

I kept the suspected culprit out of the kitchen. She sat on the couch with me while it cooled. It was the big fatty cat that i've NEVER seen on the table who ate it. I thought I had learned my lesson the first time, but I was wrong and now I know who the real cake fiend is. The first time was just a surprise, that is the one that wasn't for other people. The second one is the one that got rebaked after discovering I had the wrong suspect out of the possible crime scene. icon_smile.gif

varika Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 2:58am
post #197 of 219
Quote:

He doesn't have to decide if he should eat the cake or not, I do it for him by confining either him or the cake, same as kids and husbands!

I mean if you or somebody else has come up with a better way of dealing with pets and cakes other than securely separating them I really would love to know.

I find it utterly unacceptable to think that an unsuspecting customer could be eating a cake that was a little too close to animals.

Clearly, you didn't bother to read the whole thread, either. The OP RE-MADE the cake that was for the customer; the one that was served was FOR HER HUSBAND AND HERSELF ONLY. How many times is that going to have to be repeated?

I don't understand this obsession people have with OMG there was a PET near it! You're more likely to get contamination from the baker than a pet, since the baker's the one getting up close and personal with it for horus on end; I've never seen a baker wearing a respirator to avoid breathing on the cake.

I've been baking from the same kitchen at home for the past 27 years. I don't sell my products, but I've also never even ONCE had anyone complain of getting sick from my kitchen, which is a better track record than any of the local restaurants, so clearly, pets aren't NEARLY the danger that some of the people around here think they are.

As for why I'm getting 'upset,' try re-reading the thread again. For ciminy's sake, this has been gone over again and again and it's really getting ANNOYING that someone can't tell a cute story without a bunch of jerks coming in and screaming OMG HOW COULD YOU HAVE PETS NEAR FOOD!?

You know what? Stuff happens. Get over it and don't bother reading a thread about it if it BOTHERS you so much.

MeMo07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeMo07 Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 3:04am
post #198 of 219
Quote:

You might not THINK you are acting that way, but I'll second the fact that you are most CERTAINLY coming across in that way.

I don't see how you are missing the point- they keep the pets away- unless one finds a way around- not all of us can just sit and stare at our cake cooling.....Obviously, as I'm pretty sure everyone has stated, if it becomes....ahem..."contaminated"....it is take cafe of in a proper manner.

For me, if I HAD a business that I ran and I found ANYTHING on it, cat, husband, dog, lizzard, son, monkey, WHATEVER, I would remake it.

But for something I'm eating? So what if my kid sticks his finger in it. And I wish that my kitty was still here for me to worry about her trying to get my cakes!

I confine my son....until I find him crawling OVER the toybox- LOL. ....point being, nothing is ever 100 percent.

Stuff happens. No need to act like that.

MeMo07 Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 3:06am
post #199 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by varika

Quote:

Clearly, you didn't bother to read the whole thread, either. The OP RE-MADE the cake that was for the customer; the one that was served was FOR HER HUSBAND AND HERSELF ONLY. How many times is that going to have to be repeated?

I don't understand this obsession people have with OMG there was a PET near it! You're more likely to get contamination from the baker than a pet, since the baker's the one getting up close and personal with it for horus on end; I've never seen a baker wearing a respirator to avoid breathing on the cake.

I've been baking from the same kitchen at home for the past 27 years. I don't sell my products, but I've also never even ONCE had anyone complain of getting sick from my kitchen, which is a better track record than any of the local restaurants, so clearly, pets aren't NEARLY the danger that some of the people around here think they are.

As for why I'm getting 'upset,' try re-reading the thread again. For ciminy's sake, this has been gone over again and again and it's really getting ANNOYING that someone can't tell a cute story without a bunch of jerks coming in and screaming OMG HOW COULD YOU HAVE PETS NEAR FOOD!?

You know what? Stuff happens. Get over it and don't bother reading a thread about it if it BOTHERS you so much.

EXACTLY!

Wonderfully said. icon_smile.gif

banba Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 3:09am
post #200 of 219

I am not a "jerk".

There are some who may think this cute and funny and acceptable and others who will absolutely not take that view.

You don't call somebody a "jerk" because they have a different point of view or gave their opinion on something,

unless your 4yrs old.

MeMo07 Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 3:15am
post #201 of 219
Quote:

I am not a "jerk".

There are some who may think this cute and funny and acceptable and others who will absolutely not take that view.

You don't call somebody a "jerk" because they have a different point of view or gave their opinion on something,

unless your 4yrs old.

I'm sorry, but WHEN in the WORLD do you think you should be allowed to judge and be condescending someone for what they do in THEIR OWN HOME, for their OWN consumption?

That's like me telling you I think it's disgusting that you have a child in your house when you make dinner....because, you know, they COULD stick their dirty little hands in it.

lu9129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lu9129 Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 3:22am
post #202 of 219

My friend is deaf. She is sitting next to me while we read this. She wishes that this was on a computer with visuals on it so that she could interpret the OP story. She says apparently a bunch of you aren't getting the gist of the story.
She would like to sign it for you, she says maybe that would help!!!!! lol. So-----she would like me to do something for her. She says that she would like me to type in large letters!!!!

OP DID NOT SELL THE CAKE!!!! SHE REMADE IT!!!!!
SHE AND HER HUSBAND ATE THE CAT CAKE!!!!!

It is alot funnier seeing her interpret for some of you!!!! Wish you all were here!!!!!! LOLOLOLOLOL!!!

LU

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 3:24am
post #203 of 219

Hm. Busy thread.

I'm allergic to cats so probably wouldn't like a cake from a house with cats.

My kitchen is licensed, I do have dogs but they never come in (course that will cause a wildfire from the animal lovers, but they are big akitas and they are fine out there.) I have four kids but per license rules they stay out of the kitchen as much as possible during baking (anyway I like it better that way!) I have a swinging gate in the kitchen door.

As long as your customers know you have cats, its your business really, and I think its great you rebaked a new one. I knew a lady who ordered her wedding cake from a lady whose house was FULL of cats and cat hair. Gross I know. But strangely enough, she said it was the prettiest and tastiest cake she ever had. Go figure.

Doesn't bother me what the OP did....cute cat btw!!!! However OP you surely knew you'd set off a load of dynamite. LOL.

MeMo07 Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 3:29am
post #204 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by lu9129

My friend is deaf. She is sitting next to me while we read this. She wishes that this was on a computer with visuals on it so that she could interpret the OP story. She says apparently a bunch of you aren't getting the gist of the story.
She would like to sign it for you, she says maybe that would help!!!!! lol. So-----she would like me to do something for her. She says that she would like me to type in large letters!!!!

OP DID NOT SELL THE CAKE!!!! SHE REMADE IT!!!!!
SHE AND HER HUSBAND ATE THE CAT CAKE!!!!!

It is alot funnier seeing her interpret for some of you!!!! Wish you all were here!!!!!! LOLOLOLOLOL!!!

LU

LOL

icon_smile.gif

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 12:00pm
post #205 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

. . . .I'm allergic to cats so probably wouldn't like a cake from a house with cats. . .
As long as your customers know you have cats, its your business really, and I think its great you rebaked a new one. . .

That was the point that I tried to make way back on page 2 of this thread. My husband has severe allergic reactions to cats. A cat hair under his eyelid caused his eye to swell completely shut - it looked like he had a golf ball between his lid and his eye. Cat hair in or on his cake would probably close his airway. The OP posted right below my posting that she was "amused" by our comments. When others posted comments about how clean they keep their homes, the OP posted that they were "clean freaks" with "wild and wacky rituals." These comments tell me plenty about her.

Do whatever you want to cakes that are for you and your family, but you need to either be more careful when selling or giving cakes to people outside your home OR warn them that you have animals in the house that walk on the counters and tables.

This thread isn't about whether or not you love or hate animals. It's about what you do to keep those animals off of the food that comes out of your kitchen. Especially when the food is for someone outside of your household.

Read some of the descriptions for items for sale on Ebay. Many read that their items come from a "smoke free and animal free home." They're doing that as a courtesy to those with allergies.

pottedmeatchunks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pottedmeatchunks Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 6:38pm
post #206 of 219

so cute!! My cat is not a big fan of cake but boy does she love buttercream! She sits and watches until the moment a glob falls on the floor and then shes my little cat mop!

The good news is your kitty's mouth is cleaner than yours! Thats after it licks up after itself! haha

taxnerd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taxnerd Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 1:31am
post #207 of 219

As someone with some pretty severe allergies myself, I learned early on that you have to look out for yourself. It's not other people's responsibilty to "warn" you that there are potential allergens in your food. There are always potential allergens in your food, whether from outside sources such as pets or from cross contamination within a kitchen. If in doubt, don't eat it. I grew up before anyone had even heard of a life-threatening peanut allergy. When I was a child, friends' parents would just laugh this off and refuse to tell me what was in my friends' birthday cakes. In response, I didn't eat them. Just a few years ago, I found it a little odd that no one bothered to tell me that there was peanut butter filling in a wedding cake for a wedding that I attended, as this is now a common allergy. Luckily, my husband tasted his first and told me. I'm also very allergic to certain breeds of dog, but I don't expect people to warn me before eating food prepared in their kitchens.

MeMo07 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 3:39am
post #208 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocmom

The OP posted right below my posting that she was "amused" by our comments. When others posted comments about how clean they keep their homes, the OP posted that they were "clean freaks" with "wild and wacky rituals." These comments tell me plenty about her.

I looked through this whole thread and didn't see where she said that. Care to point it out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocmom

Do whatever you want to cakes that are for you and your family, but you need to either be more careful when selling or giving cakes to people outside your home OR warn them that you have animals in the house that walk on the counters and tables.

This thread isn't about whether or not you love or hate animals. It's about what you do to keep those animals off of the food that comes out of your kitchen. Especially when the food is for someone outside of your household.

This cake was for her family. What relevance does this statement have in a thread where she is simply trying to share a funny story?

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxnerd

As someone with some pretty severe allergies myself, I learned early on that you have to look out for yourself. It's not other people's responsibility to "warn" you that there are potential allergens in your food. There are always potential allergens in your food, whether from outside sources such as pets or from cross contamination within a kitchen. If in doubt, don't eat it. I grew up before anyone had even heard of a life-threatening peanut allergy. When I was a child, friends' parents would just laugh this off and refuse to tell me what was in my friends' birthday cakes. In response, I didn't eat them. Just a few years ago, I found it a little odd that no one bothered to tell me that there was peanut butter filling in a wedding cake for a wedding that I attended, as this is now a common allergy. Luckily, my husband tasted his first and told me. I'm also very allergic to certain breeds of dog, but I don't expect people to warn me before eating food prepared in their kitchens.

VERY good points. I'm very allergic to a certian fruit....do I expect everyone and everything to warn me? No. I look at the ingredients. I ASK if this fruit has been used. I'm proactive about protecting myself. I know my airway will close up if I eat it, so I am aware that it is MY responsibility to do the research...if we were all to inform everyone of every possible allergen, it would take forever.... (because no one would ever think to inform me that they used this, because hardly anyone is allergic to it! I've also found it in random products, LOL)

"Mam, I must make you aware that I prepare this cake in a metal pan in my oven, at one point in the last three years my mother in law held a cat and then came over, then I mixed in this brand of flour, sugar, butter....etc...." icon_wink.gif LOL (Yes, this is a little allergy humor. icon_razz.gif)

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 3:51am
post #209 of 219

WOW, this thread is still going?!

MeMo07 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 4:13am
post #210 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMakar

WOW, this thread is still going?!

Yup, you're not imagining it! We really do have that much time on our hands... icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif LOL.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%