What Do I Do????

Decorating By veronica970206 Updated 26 Jul 2008 , 8:44pm by veronica970206

veronica970206 Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 2:38am
post #1 of 12

I am covering an 8 inch cake with fondant and EVERY time (10 times now) I go to place the fonant over it, it just starts ripping and falling off, does anyone know what I should do??? Thanks so much, Veronica

11 replies
smbegg Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 2:59am
post #2 of 12

You need to roll the fondant thicker. Don't be afraid to roll a good amount out. It will not tear as easy.

cdavis Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 3:06am
post #3 of 12

If your kitchen or fondant is really warm, it will cause this to happen as well. Sometimes I'll roll mine out and let it firm up a bit and cool down before I move it to the cake.

summernoelle Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 3:08am
post #4 of 12

Is it too dry? Too much PS? Try adding some Crisco.

mamajan61 Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 3:24am
post #5 of 12

Thicker.... don't skimp on the fondant...

veronica970206 Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 11:46am
post #6 of 12

Could it rip if there is not enough BC? My husband thinks I did not coat it enough with BC, it did crust up very well, but I am just not sure. I think I rolled the fondant out to be about the width of a crepe, which is usually how I roll it out and never had problems before. I will try thicker and also try my Husband's idea on the BC. I will let you all know what happens. Thanks so much, you are all fantastic!!!! Veronica

HerBoudoir Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 2:15pm
post #7 of 12

I don't think it's the buttercream - I've used thin layers of buttercream and thick layers under fondant and it doesn't seem to make much of a difference.

It's probably your fondant. Try rolling it thicker - you may need to knead some more crisco or 10x sugar into it as well.

foxymomma521 Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 2:34pm
post #8 of 12

What brand of fondant are you using? I had that problem with Choco-Pan... (I know everyone else loves ChocoPan but I had a really hard time with it!)

tyty Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 2:34pm
post #9 of 12

I had this same problem last week, I took the fondant off the cake, and kneaded some ps and shortening into it and it was fine after that. I remember thinking to myself that the fondant must have been dry if it was cracking and tearing. I added shortening first and this did not seem to help, so I added the ps and that did it. I had no more problems with it after that.

uschi1 Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 2:57pm
post #10 of 12

I have only had that problem when my fondant hasn't had time to rest. I always make my own and I try to make it at least 24 hours in advance, but I find 48 hours is better.
I also warm it up in the microwave a bit so that it is easier to knead and roll out. If it's in the microwave too long, it will also tear.

Irish245 Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 3:15pm
post #11 of 12

I find if it's too humid, it tears for me. I was making a wedding cake once and it kept tearing. I decided to take a break and went and turned the A/C on, came back 2 hours later and it worked just fine.

Since then, I've not had a problem as long as the A/C is on if it's humid out.

veronica970206 Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 8:44pm
post #12 of 12

So get this, last night I kept trying and trying to cover that cake, and I got no where pretty fast. So I said you know what, I will have time tomorrow morning I will cover it then, plus I was super tired from running errands all day, baking, cooking and cleaning and chasing my 3 kids around playing and stuff like that. So I got up early this morning 5-ish, gave it another thin coat of BC, rolled out the fondant, covered it and all was great, THEN I walked away and saw that it was starting to make these little holes on the side of the cake, so I took it all off, threw the fondant away, and just took the cupcakes that I made earlier to the potluck for the awards ceremony at the Lilttle League field, and that was the end of it. I wasn't mad at all, I just did not understand what was going on. I think I need to learn how to make it, OR buy better fondant. Where I am located I cannot get the Satin Ice Fondant anywhere, so I just buy the Wilton and no one eats it but, I like to practice with it, and do lots of the flowers and stuff with it. I tried making MMF before and it would not stretch at all, so now my new mission is to try to find really good fondant via online that is a decent price OR find an awesome recipe that is easy to follow and reliable. Anyone has any ideas, I would REALLY appreciate it. You all are the best!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%