First Time Wedding Cake... Help Please!!...

Decorating By Lori2240 Updated 26 Jul 2008 , 12:38pm by Lori2240

Lori2240 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lori2240 Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 1:54am
post #1 of 7

I was asked to do my first wedding cake and need some help. Please!!!The bride wants a cake that is not to big and wants to use sheet cakes to make up the remaining pieces. She is looking at a party of about 325 people, and wants a 3 tiered square cake 12in, 10 in and 8 (or 6in). She wants it with 3 layers of cake and 2 layers of frosting which is throwing me off of my estimating because it seems that a lot of stuff is torted (am I wrong?) She wants to keep the top tier though. Can anyone tell me how much this would serve??? I need to make a few 11X15 sheet cakes (with the 3 layers of cake and 2 layers of frosting) How many estra sheet cakes would I need to make?? It's just that it is my first time doing a wedding cake and I am having a VERY dificult time estimating how many cakes I will need, let alone how much I am going to charge her. Any advice, information, or tips is GREATLY appreciated!!! Thank you!!!!

6 replies
MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 3:12am
post #2 of 7

Since she wants to keep the top layer you can't count it as servings available. You can bill her for it as an 8" serving 24 people.

So an 10" square will serve 40, a 12" square will serve 60. That gives you 100 servings so far. You still need 225 servings if her guest count is accurate. A 11 x 15 serves about 60 so you will need at least 3 for 180 or 4 for 240.

Don't forget to charge for the top layer that won't be served.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 3:24am
post #3 of 7

Can't help with the pricing...

Everything you ever wanted to know about making your first tiered cake:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-5958955.html

As for the torting, if you torte each layer of a two layer cake....you'll wind up with three layers of frosting or filling not two. (Filling/frosting for between each of the torted layers plus filling/frosting to cement the two torted layers.)

Does the bride want you to torte a 3" cake layer into three parts with two layers of frosting/filling per tier?

Don't think you can charge appropriately if you don't know EXACTLY what she's asking for.

HTH

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 5:18am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

Can't help with the pricing...

Everything you ever wanted to know about making your first tiered cake:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-5958955.html

As for the torting, if you torte each layer of a two layer cake....you'll wind up with three layers of frosting or filling not two. (Filling/frosting for between each of the torted layers plus filling/frosting to cement the two torted layers.)

Does the bride want you to torte a 3" cake layer into three parts with two layers of frosting/filling per tier?

Don't think you can charge appropriately if you don't know EXACTLY what she's asking for.

HTH

As usual JanH all your links are a real time save! The links are fantastic. THanks again! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 5:40am
post #5 of 7

xstitcher, thanks for the positive feedback. icon_biggrin.gif

Glad you find my little threads helpful!

Lori2240 Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 12:34pm
post #6 of 7

thank you all for your feedback! That link will be of GREAT help to me Im sure! The bride wants 3 layers of cake and 2 layers of icing, so that will be a little over 4 inches tall with fondant, right? So in that cake, the 11 X 15 would still serve around 60, correct? Thank you so much for your input. 1 last question, would you bring each tier seperate to the hall or bring it all put together? Thank you for your patience with me!

Lori2240 Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 12:38pm
post #7 of 7

personally, how far in advance you do think would be suitable to make the cakes? Can I freeze them filled????? They are white choc cake with swiss meringue buttercream. THANK YOU AGAIN!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%