Is 1/2 Inch Foam Core Strong Enough???

Decorating By Sweetpeazmom Updated 26 Jul 2008 , 5:08pm by DianeLM

Sweetpeazmom Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 1:31am
post #1 of 7

Will a 1/2 inch foam Core base be strong enough for a 2-Layered 3 Tier Cake, or should I double it, or use something else? The cake is Cake Mix with extender and the tiers are 6", 10", & 14". Thanks

6 replies
Sweetpeazmom Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 2:51am
post #2 of 7

Anyone???

SweetArt Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 4:05am
post #3 of 7

I have a 13" double layer sitting on a 1/2" thick foamcore right now, and it held the weight very well. The layers that will go on top are 9" and 5". I will be assembling it at the reception site. If you want to pre-assemble then transport, I'd double the board because of the added weight.

danijus Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 4:17pm
post #4 of 7

If you're not going to assemble on site, I would use wood or masonite. A three tier cake is very heavy and I'm not sure I would trust the foam. I've never tried it so this is just my opinion.

DianeLM Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 4:31pm
post #5 of 7

I wouldn't trust one layer of 1/2 inch foamcore for that size cake. What I like to do is glue a same-size piece of masonite under the foamcore and cover the whole thing as one board. The masonite adds stability and the foamcore provides an anchor for the center dowel.

iamlis Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 4:35pm
post #6 of 7

Man Diane, you are a genius, I always learn something new when you post!

DianeLM Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 5:08pm
post #7 of 7

Gosh, I'll try not to let THAT go to my head! LOL!

I forgot to mention that I order pre-cut masonite boards from www.thebakerskitchen.com. I give my customers the option of a refundable deposit if they return the board.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%