Making My Own Wedding Cake

Decorating By auntiem26 Updated 27 Jul 2008 , 2:38pm by southerncake

auntiem26 Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 7:36pm
post #1 of 6

Hey everyone! I'm making my own wedding cake in October. It's three tier and covered in MMF. How far in advance can I finish the cake? The wedding is on a Saturday, so i could I finish it completely on Thursday?

5 replies
JoAnnB Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 9:59pm
post #2 of 6

You just need to determine the icing and fillings. If it needs refrigeration, do you have room? Or, use non-refrigerated icings and fillings.

It should be cool enough in October, depending on where you are)

milissasmom Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 10:21pm
post #3 of 6

You should be fine (especially if it doesnt need to be in the frige)! Just take that into concideration when plannig flavors (filling etc). You are a brave soul! Good luck hon...

oodu Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 6:39pm
post #4 of 6

If you are going to use fondant, make sure you don't refrigerate the finished cake...the fondant will get gummy in the fridge. The cake should keep for a few days, so finishing it thursday will be just fine!

auntiem26 Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 2:21pm
post #5 of 6

Awesome! Thanks so much everyone. A lot of people are telling me I'm a brave soul for making my own cake. I just can't justify spending hundreds of dollars for something I can do myself!

southerncake Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 2:38pm
post #6 of 6

I also made my own wedding cake. It was a two-tier with fondant and white chocolate sea shells. I baked Thursday morning and decorated Thursday night. I was so glad I did it myself, and everyone loved it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%