Working With Fondant

Decorating By Rosie932 Updated 23 Sep 2008 , 8:55am by aileenlnbh

Rosie932 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie932 Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 6:49pm
post #1 of 11

I have been trying so hard to do laces and squiggles with fondant and it just keeps falling apart on me. I would love to wrap it around a dowel for a squiggly effect, but it keeps falling apart. Also tried just cutting it thin and doing it that way but it still falls apart. You guys do such beautiful stuff with fondant. How 'bout a few hints. I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks-Rosie

10 replies
cassi_g16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cassi_g16 Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 6:53pm
post #2 of 11

It sounds like your fondant is to dry. Try kneading in a little crisco.

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 7:56pm
post #3 of 11

I agree about the shortening. Just a dab will make it more pliable.

You can also use part gumpaste to firm up the dough. 1 tsp tylose or gumtex to 1 pound of fondant. Or, just mix fondant and ready to use gumpaste- about 50/50.

It will make the dough dry faster and harder.

velveteencrimson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
velveteencrimson Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 3:50pm
post #4 of 11

how do you dye fiondant do you have to have special dye or can you use the one you use on bc icon_cry.gif

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 5:46pm
post #5 of 11

OMG....dying fondant. Nightmare for me at the moment. Check out my other posts, "what the H#** went wrong". But I usually add a little gumtex powder to my fondant or use 50/50, gumpaste/fondant. Still breaks occasionally. The weather always plays havoc where I'm at.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 2:44pm
post #6 of 11

for coloring fondant you can use gel colors. it's hard to get really dark colors. for that you might just wanna buy already colored fondant.

angelatx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelatx Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 2:54pm
post #7 of 11

hi velveteencrimson, you probably already know this, but use gloves when you dye it and then knead it. learned that the hard way, hehehe.... not a pretty site! icon_biggrin.gif

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 3:46pm
post #8 of 11

To make fondant more pliable, add glycerine (1 T per batch of MMF which is about 4 lbs?)

To wrap it around a dowel, I mix in 50% gumpaste. I really like to Wiltons GP because it dries fast and is stretchy, but you do have to work fast when you add gumpaste.

aileenlnbh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aileenlnbh Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 3:55pm
post #9 of 11

macsmom = is that one teaspoon per 10oz marshmallow quantity of mmf. i just made a batch using 20oz mm, 1 cup crisco and about 9 cups of confectioners sugar - how much glycerine would i add to that? TIA

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 4:34pm
post #10 of 11

Here is my recipe: ("T" = tablespoon. For your recipe, I'd add 2 teaspoons)

16 oz mini-marshmallows (NOT Jet-Puffed. I use Wal Mart brand)
2 T water
**Grease a micro-safe bowl, add MMs, sprinkle with water, melt 1 minute, stir and add**
1 T glycerine
1 t popcorn salt (or grind regular salt in a coffee grinder - you'll get crystals if you don't)
1 dram LoRann butter flavor candy oil - or - 2 t Wilton butter flavor or extarct of choice. The LoRann makes it taste like buttercream.
**stir and add**
2 lbs powdered sugar

aileenlnbh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aileenlnbh Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 8:55am
post #11 of 11

thanks macsmom. hey, ive never heard of the butter oil flavouring, where do you get that??? wonder if you can get it in the UK? i just add 1 tsp of almond extract and 1 tsp of vanilla to my mmf batch but the butter taste would be great to try

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%