Is There A Serving Chart For One Layer Cakes Out There?

Decorating By jammjenks Updated 25 Jul 2008 , 7:29pm by jammjenks

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 5:40pm
post #1 of 4

I repeatedly have people needing to have just one layer (2" tall) cakes in round pans and square. Is there somewhere I can find a chart that tells how many party servings would be in a 16" square one layer cake for example? Is it as simple as dividing the wilton 2-layer cake serving chart by two?

3 replies
have_your_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
have_your_cake Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 6:55pm
post #2 of 4

I think so. People may cut larger slices of one layer since it looks smaller on the plate, but if they are using the cutting guide they should be fine. Just make sure they know what size a 'serving' is when they order.

lillicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lillicakes Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 7:23pm
post #3 of 4

Logically, a serving of a single layer would be twice the area of a serving from a double layer-- that would pretty much keep the volume of the piece consistent from single to double layer cakes. On the Wilton site they give portions and say:

"The serving amounts listed are based on party-sized portions of approximately 1-1/2 x 2 inches or wedding-sized portions which are cut smaller, about 1 x 2 inches. Cakes from 3 to 6 in. high, baked in the same size pan, would yield the same number of servings because they follow the same pattern of cutting. Cakes shorter than 3 in. would yield half the number of servings indicated for that pan. "

http://www.wilton.com/cake/cakeprep/baking/times/index.cfm

So I guess, whether you use the Wilton serving number, Earlene's, or some other count, the number of single layer servings would be half of a double-layer cake of from the same pan size.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 7:29pm
post #4 of 4

Well, that makes sense. It seemed too easy, so I figured I was thinking of it wrong. Thanks for your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%