Buttercream Roses Are Making Me Crazy!!!! Help!!!!

Decorating By beagledog100 Updated 26 Jul 2008 , 3:16am by tracycakes

beagledog100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beagledog100 Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 5:04pm
post #1 of 14

I think that I have finally figured out the correct technique for making buttercream roses, but I just can't get the buttercream right. I have been using the Wilton class buttercream recipe, but not having great results. Another person in my class was having the same problem, but she switched to a different recipe and her roses have been perfect. However, she wasn't willing to share her new recipe with the rest of us.

Is there a specific buttercream recipe that you use that gives you great results with roses?

Thanks

13 replies
Juds2323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 5:27pm
post #2 of 14

What is the issue you are having with your roses?

Judi

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 5:37pm
post #3 of 14

You can try adding piping gel.

beagledog100 Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 6:04pm
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juds2323

What is the issue you are having with your roses?

Judi

I think the roses have an issue with me!! icon_razz.gif
At first I was making the frosting a bit too stiff so the ends were very rough and the frosting was cracking. Then I made it too thin so they were just a mound of frosting. Now, the edges are rough but the petals won't stand up. It's like it's too stiff and too thin at the same time....go figure.

beagledog100 Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 6:05pm
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by aswartzw

You can try adding piping gel.

I might try this. Thanks

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 6:37pm
post #6 of 14

Royal Icing icon_lol.gif. I despise making bc roses and won't do it unless specifically asked. I can spend all night doing rose after rose in RI, but 3 bc roses will test my limit of sanity.

adamsgama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adamsgama Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 7:01pm
post #7 of 14

Hi

I love doing roses with BC. I make them ahead and let them air dry (1 day at least) so that I can gently pick them up and set them on my cake.

3 things you can try to correct your problem
1. Add a little piping gel to your Wilton stiff recipe. 1 tsp. per cup of icing.
2. Use a small nail file in the narrow end of your 104 tip to clean it out. There could be small burrs of metal in there.
3. When making each petal do not pipe too fast, you could be tearing the icing.

Hope this helps

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 7:28pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsgama

Hi

I love doing roses with BC. I make them ahead and let them air dry (1 day at least) so that I can gently pick them up and set them on my cake.

Super-ditto. I use BC for absolutely everything I make.

I don't stress over ragged edges. Even God doesn't make a perfect rose every time! thumbs_up.gif

rushing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rushing Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 7:44pm
post #9 of 14

I got my bc recipe from a youtube how-to video from the CIA (it also shows you how to make flowery cupcakes- a plus)

I have yet to try roses, but the frosting seems like it would hold up well

Hope it helps! If not, at least you have another recipe =]

wildflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wildflower Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 8:03pm
post #10 of 14

hi there!
i cant really help too much with the bc recipe,but i jus finished making about a 100 ri roses and they were soo easy to make,so if u had the time and wanted to i would try using royal icing to make them
u could also try adding piping gel like mentioned above
good luck!

beagledog100 Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 8:08pm
post #11 of 14

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I am definitely going to try adding the piping gel. I am also going to try making the icing with another brand of shortening besides Crisco. I've heard about people having problems with the transfat free Crisco.

Wish me luck!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 8:28pm
post #12 of 14

my recipe has zero issues with the new crisco.

DaisyLisa17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaisyLisa17 Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 11:16pm
post #13 of 14

I am also in the classes, and when we got to the royal icing in class 2, the roses came out so much smoother than with the BC. I'm sure it is just preference, but try that also and see if it helps. And really, once you get the technique down pat, your edges will start looking smoother. Just gotta practice practice practice!

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 3:16am
post #14 of 14

I like to dry mine too but I haven't tried the piping gel. I'm going to try it next time I make buttercream roses.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%