Rosebuds.....what Am I Doing Wrong??

Decorating By JenLen Updated 26 Jul 2008 , 3:31am by soygurl

JenLen Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 5:04pm
post #1 of 7

I don't know why, but for some reason I am totally incapable of making a rosebud. Do any of you have some tips that might help me? Mine always end up looking like a big blob of frosting. And I can never quite get the first petal to sit flat, they are always kind of standing on edge.

Please help!

6 replies
cakedout Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 5:51pm
post #2 of 7

Without actually seeing you do it, my guess would be that your wrist/bag are not in the proper position. That is why your base petal isn't flat.

Your tip/bag should be at a 45 degree angle. I do mine with my bag more at the "3:30", rather than the "3:00" postition. I find that little bit back allows the base petal to fan out much nicer.

Now remember, the left side of the petal will be flat, and the right side will stand up a bit. Tilt you bag almost straight up so your tip is parallel to that little icing "wall". When you start squeezing, the icing should attach to that wall first....I ever-so-slightly lift the tip up to allow the icing to curl. Stop squeezing and pull the tip downward to detach the icing.

The Wilton rosebud is always the hardest thing for my students to learn. It will take lots of practice, so hang in there!

cakedout Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 5:57pm
post #3 of 7

Oh yes...some other things I tell my students:

Only squeeze hard enough to let the icing do it's need for brut strength!

And remember: think of the base petal in terms of a "mouse ear" NOT an "elephant ear"! icon_biggrin.gif

Also, make sure your icing is the right consistency- too soft and everything will look mushy.

HTH thumbs_up.gif

JenLen Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 7:22pm
post #4 of 7

Thank You very much! I will definitly try this out this weekend! icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 7:31pm
post #5 of 7
Originally Posted by cakedout

And remember: think of the base petal in terms of a "mouse ear" NOT an "elephant ear"! icon_biggrin.gif

Oh, that's really good!

soygurl Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 3:18am
post #6 of 7

Yeah, Wilton rose buds are really hard to do! I skip them, and do a similar, but modified rosebud that's WAY easier to do. It's kinda hard to explain without pictures, but I'll try:
Start with the first petal like the Wilton Sweet Pea, but curved over a tad more. Then cover than with a second petal going coming from the opposite direction. Add a third petal going the same direction as the first. Finally add the sepals and calyx (green part) with the middle line covering the end of the last petal.
Ack. Clear as mud right? I'm gonna try to find a pic...

soygurl Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 3:31am
post #7 of 7

Ok... not exactly the best example, but maybe it'll give you the idea.
I think the key for me is to make the first petal really tiny (seriously, think Wilton Sweet Pea), and then adding the third petal really seems to balance it out for me. HTH!

(I think you can see it best with the beige rose bud on the left side of the top tier)

Quote by @%username% on %date%