Where'd I Go Wrong? Purse Cake Disaster...

Decorating By CharmingConfections Updated 26 Jul 2008 , 4:49pm by CharmingConfections

CharmingConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CharmingConfections Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 3:46pm
post #1 of 12

My first purse cake. I used two 8x8 squares and cut in half, stacked with buttercream between, and put two dowels down through. As you can see it's all slumped and leaning one way icon_sad.gif
WHere did I go wrong?
Thanks
CC
LL
LL
LL

11 replies
koumi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koumi Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 5:43pm
post #2 of 12

I can't help with the slumping side, but I can say that your front is done really well. How did you get the font so perfectly?

yvy_cano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yvy_cano Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 5:50pm
post #3 of 12

Maybe the dowels slipped out of place?

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 5:57pm
post #4 of 12

I wish I could help you...the only purse I've made was done out of rice krispies and was put on top of the actual cake...sort of, like a cake topper.

I'll be honest with you...I love your cake!!! I understand how feel about the side but the front looks perfect and so detailed!! how did you do the letters??

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 5:58pm
post #5 of 12

Maybe you should have put the cakes on cardboard first to give it more structure ?

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 6:13pm
post #6 of 12

Did you use a cake board between the layers to give support due to the height. Stacking a cake high with out board will cause it to collapse, so sorry this happen to you.

CharmingConfections Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 8:16pm
post #7 of 12

NO, I didn't use cardboard between! that must be why! I didn't thin it said to in the tutorial..? I will have to go take a second look.

The font - I made a stencil. I chose my font, typed it out on thick vellum and used a stencil cutter to cut it out. Then used Royal Icing over it to apply to cake. ( I am a graphic artist so I have design programs and stuff to my advantage!)

Thank You Everyone!

sarahpierce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahpierce Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 11:41am
post #8 of 12

The thing is - it's a purse, and real purses slump. I've never made one, but I think it looks realistic. I understand you want it to be perfect, but I love it! I still think you did a good job, especially for your first one thumbs_up.gif .

woodthi32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodthi32 Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 11:54am
post #9 of 12

Coincidentally, I was looking at the tutorial last night and noticed it did not say to but a board between what would amount to two tiers of cake.
That said, your cake is FABULOUS!!

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 12:01pm
post #10 of 12

Yep, 8ins of cake without a board at the 4in mark is what caused this. Lesson learned for next time, but I still love this one!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 1:57pm
post #11 of 12

your cake looks so good. it looks real. i wanna buy it. (addicted to Juicy bags) the font is perfectly done.

CharmingConfections Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 4:49pm
post #12 of 12

Thanks everyone. I think they need to edit the tutorial to say they need the cardboard between the layers. Lesson learned! icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%