I'm To New To Decorating All Together And Was Just Wondering

Decorating By woohooimallie Updated 26 Jul 2008 , 7:25pm by 7yyrt

woohooimallie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woohooimallie Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 2:19pm
post #1 of 13

I have always been a baker..never a decorator. So now I am in the first course of Wilton Cake decorating class at my local Michael's. I thought I was pretty good until I came here. Now I feel so inadequate. I was just wondering how long you guys have been decorating cakes and how much formal training you've had. Also, how did you practice? Would you bake a cake, decorate it and then give it to someone just for fun? Or what? I want to practice more but I never know what to do with all that cake!
Thanks for the help in advance!! icon_smile.gif
Oh and I have attached a picture of my first cake. Critiques are welcome!
LL

12 replies
pennywells Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pennywells Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 3:26pm
post #2 of 13

Don't get discouraged. I was not that good when I just started a year ago. Not that I am perfect now but if you look at my pics you can see how I have gradually improved. I started out making them for every little birthday, event etc... that my family and friends had at no charge for practice. I even used to send them in to my husbands secretaries. The decorating gets better the more you practice so just keep it up. I also learned a lot more from CC than I ever did from the first two Wilton Classes. So just keep reading the forums and practice different techinques.

JenInAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenInAZ Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 5:47pm
post #3 of 13

I'm in the first class right now, too, and I feel the same way! I, too, LOVE to bake but have never really thought much about decorating until recently. Your cake looks good!

...I figure that while our cakes may not be much around here, to our families they're probably pretty awesome. My husband was impressed, anyway. icon_biggrin.gif

tasteebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tasteebakes Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 6:06pm
post #4 of 13

Your cake looks good! It's a great idea to decorate cakes for friends and family, you can even offer to do their kids cakes for free as practice! It will sure darn look better than a grocery store cake!(and tastier too) Good Luck!

I have pictorials on my website that you might find helpful as well.

have_your_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
have_your_cake Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 6:51pm
post #5 of 13

I took the Wilton classes 1-3 three years ago and class 4 two years ago. My DH is a sales rep so he takes my practice cakes to the hospitals and doctor's offices he calls on. That way I can practice but I don't have to eat all those cakes myself icon_smile.gif

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 7:15pm
post #6 of 13

Even the master decorators you see on here and TV had to start somewhere. You are off to a GREAT start! I took the wilton course 1 also, and I think yours looks much better than mine. Wilton classes get you started off in the right direction, but CC will take you to better levels then Wilton ever thought about. You'll learn so much on here. If you are great at the baking part then you already have a leg up on many CCers. Keep up the good work and you'll be amazed one day at how far you've come. Check out this thread for inspiration:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=595795&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 7:31pm
post #7 of 13

Your first cake looks great! THe icing looks very smooth and your rainbow is nice and consistent.

I've been making cakes for 25 years and *I* was intimidated by the talent here on CC when I first came aboard!!

So we want to see every cake you do!! You've come to the right place for help, tips and advice as you grow in your new talent!

MaraCarter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaraCarter Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 7:57pm
post #8 of 13

Great first cake. Keep at it. It is so much fun.
I feed my cakes to family and coworkers. CC and books are also a great place to keep learning more techniques. Do you have a cake club in your area?

woohooimallie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woohooimallie Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 1:21am
post #9 of 13

Wow, thank you all for the compliments and helpful tips!! I am so excited to keep learning and I can't wait to learn more from CC!

Lorendabug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorendabug Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 1:49am
post #10 of 13

Wilton courses are a great place to start to learn some of the basics. You will get enough knowledge and confidence to want to go on with your skills. I started with the Wilton classes about two years ago, I even teach them now. Like Jammjenks said even the master decorators had to start somewhere. I tell all of my students the same thing it takes a lot of practice. If you are willing to put in the time you will be able to do anything you want to!

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 1:53am
post #11 of 13

You will find this site very addicting and very helpful. I starting decorating about 30 some years ago, I'm self taught and I'm am still learning.

Your cake is great, smooth, even consistant lines and your star dots are very nicely done.

Keep up the good work... and log in often to CC

mom2leelee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2leelee Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 1:59am
post #12 of 13

You will be so happy you've found this site. I'm a newbie to it all too and am addicted to this site! I am taking Wilton course 1 now and haven't learned anything yet that I hadn't already found on here. Plus there are GREAT decorators on here that are always willing to answer your questions. I think your rainbow cake is great, and we all have to start somewhere right? That's what I keep telling myself when I'm browsing through the jaw dropping cakes in the gallery.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 7:25pm
post #13 of 13

I use cake pans as cookie cutters, then decorate the 8 and 9 inch cookies as I would the top of a cake.

Folks at my husband's office like getting them better than a cake, as they can take them home and share there instead of always having cake in the break room as temptation.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%