Help! Found A Kitchen Space To Rent And Have Questions!

Business By Justbeck101 Updated 25 Jul 2008 , 2:14pm by Justbeck101

Justbeck101 Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 1:49pm
post #1 of 3

I would like to know what questions any of you have asked when you tried renting a kitchen space. I think I have found one and I will meet with her this morning at 10:30.

Do those of you who rent a space use it only for baking the cakes, or do you do all of the baking, creating and decorating there? If you do it all there, how do you set up how much you pay for your kitchen time?

Thank you
Rebecca

2 replies
beccakelly Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 2:07pm
post #2 of 3

i know its almost 10:30, so i hope this isn't too late. but i rent space from a caterer, and it works out great. first off, DO NOT PAY HOURLY! i hated paying hourly at the first kitchen i rented. i felt rushed to get things done faster than normal because it affected my bottom line. i pay $350 a month, and spend easily 30-40 hours a week there, so hourly would be ridiculously expensive. i do everything there, consults, baking, torting, decorating, everything. i would ask what kind of storage space you will have. thats key. it takes a lot of space to store all those pans, ingredients, torted cakes waiting to be decorated, and then the decorated cakes. i ended up buying my own shelving unit and worktable because what she had already wasn't enough. its a good thing she was okay with that, so you may want to ask about that too. i have a key, which is great! sometimes i'm there till midnight, sometimes i leave before her staff does, but i definitely need a key. so find out if you will have a key, or if you can only be there when they are. that would make things really hard to try and squeeze everything in on the owners schedule.

good luck!

Justbeck101 Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 2:14pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you for your quick response. They dont open until 11:00 and they close at 5:30. I think it would be great if I could use the space when they are not there! A key would be Great! Thanks, I didnt even think of working while they were closed until I read your post!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%