Many Questions For Florida Cake Business

Business By pjaycakes Updated 29 Jul 2008 , 12:37pm by BakingJeannie

pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 10:03am
post #1 of 11

I know that you can't legally bake out of your home in FL and must use a Health Department approved kitchen. I can't afford to open my own shop, because I have a full time day job right now. I would love to rent kitchen space somewhere, but don't know how to go about starting the whole process.

I think I have to take a food handling class and of course get a business license and then rent the kitchen, but I don't know what order they must be done in and if there is anything else I need to do.

I apologize if this question has been asked a million times, but this is all new to me.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

10 replies
janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 12:27pm
post #2 of 11

I was going to post the EXACT same question. I want to rent kitchen space in Florida b/c I cannot work full time and don't have the funds to invest in space and equipment etc. I have NO IDEA where to go to find a kitchen to rent.

I do know that you have to take the food handling class and test so that you get licensed and then you have to find a licensed kitchen etc.

I think you would need to do it in this order - food handling, kitchen, business license etc. I think that is all that you have to do. I did call the health department once and they said something to me about having to list all of your ingredients etc and I was so confused!!

Where in FL are you?? I'm in St Augustine.

If anyone can tell us how to go about renting space that would be GREAT!!!

BakingJeannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingJeannie Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 1:34pm
post #3 of 11

I probably would have posted the same question too as yesterday I filled out the forms to start an LLC, plus a DBA (the LLC will own the DBA) and the form for the Health Inspection. Now I realize I need to get the kitchen first and before that do the sanitation class.

I have a full time job too, but can't afford to rent a whole space by myself. I have seen a caterer who has a space in Miami, but to work in that area at nights...my husband would not allow! Also very close to me in Miramar there are a few coffee shops and bristos, but I just don't have the guts or to approach them (shy). I have the opportunity to get a whole lot more business, all because I'm not in a commercial kitchen, I can't take it. Finding the space is the hardest part for me.

I think the order is: Health Class. Get Kitchen, Inspection. Have you been to http://www.MyFlorida.Com ?

I have been doing some baking from home and have been back and forth with my city if they can't spearhead a community kitchen because so many small business would benefit from that, along with the tax benefit the city would get too. It seems I may have to start a campaign to get that started, always: "not in the budget". They have in our city a number of "live & work" townhouse, but they are far too expensive for my husband and I. The two floors above is the living space ( 3 or 2 bedrooms) and downstairs is the business area about a 10x10 space with handicap bathroom! Very nice, and very very expensive for us.

I will be praying your success.

Cheers! thumbs_up.gif

jessfmaldonado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessfmaldonado Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 2:41pm
post #4 of 11

Hey Patty,

I know its a costly process to get licensed here in Florida. There is a website I have been checking often it is called commercialkitchenforrent.com. There is one by me maybe there might be one by you!! Keep checking the website because they have new kitchens pop up every now and then. HTH!!!
Too bad you don't live closer to me, maybe we could have split the cost!!
Jessica

pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 9:20pm
post #5 of 11

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Jessica - I found a place in Cocoa Beach not far from my house on the rent a kitchen site. Thanks so much for letting me know about that.

Now I just have to call the Department of Agriculture and try to get the ball rolling.

BakingJeannie Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 5:46pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Quote:

Jessica: I know its a costly process to get licensed here in Florida. There is a website I have been checking often it is called commercialkitchenforrent.com. There is one by me maybe there might be one by you!! Keep checking the website because they have new kitchens pop up every now and then. HTH!!!
Too bad you don't live closer to me, maybe we could have split the cost!!

Thanks for posting that information. I will check it out also. thumbs_up.gif

Cheers!

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 6:22pm
post #7 of 11

jessica,
I was reading this thread and I find the information interesting. I too live in Tampa and I just moved here from Atlanta a few months ago and had a licensed business up there. I would like to find out more about a business down here, if you do not mind communicating by email with me. My email is [email protected] and thanks for your help.
evelyn

Lesia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lesia Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 4:16am
post #8 of 11

I went through this process a few years ago... 1) take the food manager's course (you can skip the class and just go take the exam if you feel confident). Then, find a space to rent. Apply for your license. Obtain liability insurance (mine was about $600 per year). Arrange/stock the kitchen per health department regulations. You can get your ficticious name at any time (if I remember correctly!). I think I was ablt to that online. Once you have passed inspection, you can go and get your occupational license, and register with the Dept of Revenue to obtain your tax ID number. You will have to keep track of all sales and sales tax collected, and pay the sales tax to the Dept of Revenue quarterly.

A couple tips - it's a much simpler process to get a kitchen licensed that has already been in use as a kitchen. Otherwise, you have to submit a drawing of the proposed kitchen, obtain an inspection/clearance from the fire department, etc.......

If you want to avoid having to put in a greasehood - skip the stove and get an oven that does not require venting. My oven was a countertop Deluxe (I LOVED that thing!). You will HAVE to have a grease trap though, as well as a triple sink, mop sink, and hand sink. Trash cans must have lids, including the ones in the restroom. Toilet seat must be split in the front (never figured that one out). All food storage must be at least 6" off the floor. All prep surfaces must be washable material. Signs must be posted in the restroom and above your hand sink about washing hands before returning to work. I'm sure there's more, but that's all I can think of at the moment. Hope this info helps someone!

icon_smile.gif

BakingJeannie Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 1:01pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesia

I went through this process a few years ago... 1) take the food manager's course (you can skip the class and just go take the exam if you feel confident). Then, find a space to rent. Apply for your license. Obtain liability insurance (mine was about $600 per year). Arrange/stock the kitchen per health department regulations. You can get your ficticious name at any time (if I remember correctly!). I think I was ablt to that online. Once you have passed inspection, you can go and get your occupational license, and register with the Dept of Revenue to obtain your tax ID number. You will have to keep track of all sales and sales tax collected, and pay the sales tax to the Dept of Revenue quarterly.icon_smile.gif

Lisa,
Thank you because this is so helful. Now regarding point #1, where do you find the link to take the food manager's course? Is it the same as the "Sanitation" classes offered by some of the local schools? About how much does it cost?

I have a quote for insurance, and has the forms for the kitchen inspection, but I realize I need to do the test then find the kitchen.

You have been a big help thumbs_up.gif

Lesia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lesia Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 7:52pm
post #10 of 11

Sorry, I really don't know anything about the classes. I just took a leap of faith and took the test when I got mine. icon_wink.gif Anyhow - here is a link for you:

http://www.doacs.state.fl.us/fs/fdmgrcrt.html

BakingJeannie Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 12:37pm
post #11 of 11

Leisa,
I'm thought of taking a leap of faith too regarding doing the test. I went to the site and printed a few places offering classes and one print out had 15 questions you are likely to get on the test. I answered 13 right. All for just knowing the right thing to do. The passing grade is 75 of 80, so I believe I will likely pass.
Thanks,

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%