How Would You Attach These Mickey Ears?

Decorating By dcabrera Updated 25 Jul 2008 , 9:56pm by KHalstead

8 replies
ChucKles Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 11:25am
post #2 of 9

If you scroll down to the bottom of the comments of the link she explains it there...

dcabrera Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 4:43pm
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChucKles

If you scroll down to the bottom of the comments of the link she explains it there...

I asked my instructor and she said if I did it that way they would fall and ripe through my cake. I was wondering if anyone else had any other ideas.

Mandica12182 Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 4:56pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcabrera

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChucKles

I asked my instructor and she said if I did it that way they would fall and ripe through my cake. I was wondering if anyone else had any other ideas.

Maybe you can stick them in once set up so you don't have to worry about them falling...also if you are using fondant it dries to where I doubt styrofoam would tear it or the cake up.

mcelromi1 Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 5:25pm
post #5 of 9

I'm assuming you would put the hat on last, as a whole. After the fondant had set.
If you have support going through the ears and into the cap, I don't understand how or why they would fall off and rip through your cake.
Once the fondant set, it would add extra support to keep the ears in place. Because you would blend the fondant where the ears meet the cap so that it looks like one piece.

Am I making any sense?

all4cake Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 5:28pm
post #6 of 9

If you have time, make the ears using gumpaste or a fondant/gumpaste mixture. Make the base a bit thicker and insert two, evenly spaced skewers. Make the outermost part of the ears thinner(to prevent outward pull). Allow them to dry. When ready to assemble, if using b/c, pipe a line where the ears are to be placed and insert them, embedding them in the icing....if covering with fondant, either pipe a line of icing and do the same as for the b/c or brush the area with gum glue and insert ears...making sure they adhere to the "glued" area.

cassi_g16 Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 6:07pm
post #7 of 9

I made the ears for my blues clues cake out of fondant mixed with tylose powder. I had two pieces of floral wire in each ear and used that to stick into the cake. It worked really well and I covered the cake itself in buttercream. I would suggest setting it up in the place it is going before inserting the ears just for safe keeping.

dcabrera Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 9:44pm
post #8 of 9

Ok I think I got it.

KHalstead Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 9:56pm
post #9 of 9

i would definitely go with gumpaste and skewers......much much easier!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%