Red Velvet Cake

Decorating By love2chat Updated 25 Jul 2008 , 2:46pm by love2chat

love2chat Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 4:51am
post #1 of 9

HELP! Does anyone out there have a recipe for Red Velvet Cake without the red food coloring? I've looked everywhere. A church lady said years ago her mother made this cake without the red food coloring and the cake was still red. icon_smile.gif

8 replies
gabbenmom Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 5:04am
post #2 of 9

I just did a red velvet cake so I did quite a bit of research. One lady said that red beet juice used to be the colorant. That is the only way I can think of to color it without the food coloring. I will see if I can locate that comment.
Good luck!

gabbenmom Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 5:11am
post #3 of 9

OK, so I found it. It was actually a recipe on that had a review that mentioned it. I will put a link to the recipe. Go down towards the bottom of the reviews and look for one by FAIRDOSE. She said red sugared beets. I hope that will help you.!

ps. this was not the recipe I used though. I do not know if it is good or not.

PinkZiab Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 5:16am
post #4 of 9

Years ago red velvet got its color from a chemical reaction between the cocoa powder and the acidity in the vinegar and/or buttermilk that was used in those recipes. This reaction is less obvious with dutch processed cocoa that is commonly used now (this reaction is also takes place in traditional devil's food cake recipes, which is how it got its name). When this reaction does take place, however, it's more of a deep reddish brown, and not the bold, vibrant hue that most red velvet cakes are today.

milissasmom Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 5:16am
post #5 of 9

I found this on I have never tried it as I LOVE my regular old Red Velvet cake and would never try this recipe because I detest beets! But it got pretty good reviews so give it a test shot! Let me know how it turns out!!!! Good luck!

Red Velvet Cake (Beet Cake)

Filed under: Healthy Recipes â Deanna @ 7:32 pm
Red Velvet Cake
2½ cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup sugar
½ cup unsweetened cocoa
1¼ cup melted butter
4 eggs, beaten
½ cup milk
2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup shredded beets (cooked or raw)
mix dry ingredients; mix wet ingredients & add to dry ingredients; add beets & mix; pour into greased casserole dish; cook at 350º for 40 min or until fork comes out clean; frost with cream cheese frosting when cake is cool; refrigerates well.

Col22176 Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 5:19am
post #6 of 9

I also heard you can use beet baby food to color a red velvet cake. I hope this helps! Good luck and when you are finished the cake you have to let us know what you used. icon_smile.gif And how it tasted!

maryak Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 5:41am
post #7 of 9

The original red velvet cake was made with beetroot, so give it a go. Some people still make it that way. It's a whole lot healthier I guess.

Petit-four Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 12:09pm
post #8 of 9

The Martha Stewart recipe for Red Velvet cake has a few tablespoons of vinegar that you mix with baking soda right at the end -- then you add that to the batter, and mix for ten seconds.

I did this cake a while ago, and amazingly, it was a deep red hue (but not a "fake" red). I did not add the red food paste, either. It was a very moist, light recipe, and kept well for several days.

You could search her site for it (I don't think CC allows us to directly copy recipes from sites, otherwise I'd post it). icon_smile.gif

love2chat Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 2:46pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you so much for the valuable information regarding the beet juice. I will definately give this a go come Tuesday and I'll post the results on Wednesday. I will use the cream cheese icing I always use. I can hardly wait to give it a try. Thanks again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%