Shimmery Gold Cake Coloring

Decorating By AB13 Updated 12 Sep 2010 , 1:18am by sunlover00

AB13 Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 3:38am
post #1 of 22

I am looking for shimmery gold paint - airbrush or otherwise. I want it to have that gold leaf shimmer without the painstaking effort of applying gold leaf. I was watching "Ace of Cakes" and they painted the dials of an amp with something that gave it the EXACT look that I am going for. I have no idea what they used, though. I have e-mailed them and will cross my fingers for a response. If anyone else knows what it is that I can use, I would GREATLY appreciate it. Thanks - in advance!

21 replies
woodthi32 Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 11:23pm
post #2 of 22

I have Luck's gold shimmer, and I am having trouble getting my airbrush to work with it. I don't know if the mica is getting stuck in the brush or what.
What did you end up doing?

tamrick Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 11:33pm
post #3 of 22

I would like to know too icon_smile.gif

woodthi32 Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 11:33pm
post #4 of 22

I have Luck's gold shimmer, and I am having trouble getting my airbrush to work with it. I don't know if the mica is getting stuck in the brush or what.
What did you end up doing?

jibbies Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 11:37pm
post #5 of 22

I use luster dust mixed with everclear. this cake started out all white matte fondant then I painted it to match the bridesmaid dresses
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1095933.html
Maybe this is the look you are going for

Jibbies

danizabe Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 11:47pm
post #6 of 22

if anything you do please do not use lucks shimer or any other airbrush color from them,but americolor does a great job ,with airbrush or anyother color i try both and americolor is the best ,lucks alnost kill my airbrush kit icon_smile.gif

grama_j Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 11:52pm
post #7 of 22

I have used CK's "GOLD HIGHLIGHTER" or the NU SILVER..... they both wind up with brilliant shiney covering that looks like real metal when mixed with vodka......

danizabe Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 12:02am
post #8 of 22

hi" its me again, i have use americolors even in my butter cream and its wonderful icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif ,so for now until something new comes up thats the one icon_biggrin.gif

woodthi32 Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 12:25am
post #9 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by danizabe

if anything you do please do not use lucks shimer or any other from them,but does a great job ,with airbrush or anyother color i try both and is the best ,lucks alnost kill my airbrush kit icon_smile.gif

A COLOR ruined your airbrush? Can you be more specific about why we should not use Luck's, and could you tell me where to get Americolor GOLD?

danizabe Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 1:54pm
post #10 of 22

icon_smile.gif it too thick and clog the needle of the air brush, and trust me i have try all their shimering colors, you can get the americolor in the cake shop or their website

woodthi32 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 2:44pm
post #11 of 22

Yeah, but Americolor doesn't make shimmery colors, do they? Have you considered the fact that it is not Luck's in particular that is clogging your brush, but the mica that makes it shimmer? Have you opened your needle all the way? Do any of the Luck's regular colors clog your brush?
I have definitely had problems getting the gold shimmer to work, but I think it's the mica. I could be wrong. That's why I asked if you could point me to any Americolor shimmers..............I thought I would try them too.

foxymomma521 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 2:59pm
post #12 of 22

http://www.fondantsource.c o m/newamshco.html
(take out the spaces in .com)
Americolor makes "sheen" colors...

Lady_Phoenix Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 3:01pm
post #13 of 22

Global sugar art has Americolor for air brush in Gold Sheen at http://globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=21656. Perhaps this is what you need.

mixinvixen Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 3:56pm
post #14 of 22

i just purchased two bottles of gold and silver from my cake shop. haven't used them yet, but she said some people say they're almost too metallic, so those people use some vodka in with it...i was actually looking for that ultra shine, though, like they use on ace of cakes, so i think i will like it.

it's called "gold glaze" and "silver glaze" and it says that it is distributed by "bakery crafts". i paid almost $5 for each bottle, which is 20 grams. (same size as the larger bottle of wilton gel colors)

Kiddiekakes Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 8:57pm
post #15 of 22

I too had the same problem with Lucks pearl shimmer and I ended up tossing it out!! I am so glad Americolor has come out with their own line of sheens...Thank goodness it didn't wreck my airbrush..Then I would have really been mad!

littlecake Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 8:15pm
post #16 of 22

i've been using luck's for months, and it's never clogged my airbrush, how odd.....i love it and use it on almost all my cakes....my airbrush was made for just cakes, might that be the difference?

Kiddiekakes Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 9:36pm
post #17 of 22

My airbrush is a Kopykake airmaster and it to is made specifically for cake decorating and Luck's clogged it!! Maybe you got a good batch!!

littlecake Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 12:24am
post #18 of 22

i got mine from decopac.....

i've reordered 3 times already....i'm so glad it hasn't clogged....it looks so pretty on the cakes....

slimkim Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 8:30am
post #19 of 22

Try placing your bottle of gold, silver or pearl airbrush in some hot water for about 5 minutes then shake it really good to get the stuff on the bottom out. It helps alot. Haven't had any more problems with my airbrush getting clogged.

deliciously_decadent Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 9:07am
post #20 of 22

this is a cake i literally just finished, i use gold and primrose lustre mixed with odka or decorators alcohol to get the gold icing
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo-1279071.html

tonicake Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 9:53am
post #21 of 22

I'm sorry everyone is having problems with the shimmer spray. However, it is not Luck's that is the problem. Has any one thought about your air compressor. If you have the black Kopykake compressor (small unit), there is not enough air pressure to get the shimmer through.

I too was having issues with every brand/type of shimmer spray and then purchased the larger Kopykake air compressor. Guess what!!! It works with the shimmer spray.

It took me a while to figure it out, but after this post - I thought I'd pass it on.

Good Luck!

sunlover00 Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 1:18am
post #22 of 22

I know that this is a really old post, but I'm just now reading in (from a search). I have the kopykake large red airbrush system and Lucks clogged and ruined my brush. I cleaned it after every use even using the airbrush cleaner. No "luck". The kopykake people actually told me NEVER to use shimmer liquid in my brush!! icon_surprised.gif I couldn't believe it. They do it on TV all the time. I'm stuck with bottles of the stuff. I use it for painting now. I've not tried the Americolor because i'm afraid to. I use my airbrush a lot and cannot be without it if I have to order another one. icon_sad.gif It's really a shame...I loved the shimmer before it cost me $100 in replacement equipment. icon_mad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%