What Happened? Wonder Mold Cake Collapsed!!

Decorating By imartsy Updated 26 Jul 2008 , 1:26am by erinalicia

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 2:27am
post #1 of 5

I don't know what happened. I just made a Ghiradelli Fudge cake in the Wonder Mold / Doll pan. It looked great half way through cooking - it was all the way at the top of the mold and I was excited. Then, when I went to take it out, it was still a little jiggly, so I left it in longer (about 10 min). When I came back, the edges were burnt and the cake had completely collapsed in the middle!

The cake IS cooked, although it is very moist - which may have been the problem. It tastes great, but it came out in a big pile. So now I have cake ball scraps, but no cake and I needed the cake!!

Anyone know why this happened and how I can prevent it when I try to do this again tomorrow? Do I need a different recipe? I am making a chocolate cake.

4 replies
kimmypooh79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmypooh79 Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 5:36am
post #2 of 5

Sounds like the temp may have been too high and cooked the outside leaving the inside less done. What temp did you cook it on? I had to lower mine to 325 degrees and just cook it a little longer. I started lowering all my temps by 25 degrees on cakes.

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 1:44pm
post #3 of 5

DOnt you hate when that happens??? I had this happen to me this past weekend. I'm still trying to figure out what happened.....I'm going to stick with my cake was to moist.

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 10:03pm
post #4 of 5

well now I'm really at a loss - I don't know if I should try another recipe, or if I should lower the temp.... I guess I could try both.... but I don't know about another chocolate cake recipe. I think the Hershey one is probably too moist too. I have done a chocolate cake mix + pudding, sour cream, etc. in the durable cake recipe.... but I was trying to bake from scratch......sigh.... any tips are appreciated!

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 1:26am
post #5 of 5

I just made 2 cakes using the "darn good chocolate cake" recipe and they both collapsed in the middle. I was baking them in a glass pyrex bowl. I think the recipe is just too moist for that deep a bowl/pan.

It tasted awesome, but it was really moist. I'm going to try again using the WASC recipe and hope it doesn't collapse on me too....

Good luck! You might try cutting back on the oil if your recipe has it in it. I think that was my problem.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%