Differences Between Homemade Fondants

Decorating By loriana Updated 28 Jul 2008 , 1:16am by Cake_Bliss

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 1:54am
post #1 of 11

Hi folks, could we start a discussion or at least maybe someone could point me to threads where the differences in homemade fondants are discussed. Here's what I want to know:

-Which recipe do you like best? Why? Have you tried more than one?
-Which recipes have the most flexibility without ripping?
-Anyone tweak a recipe with a good result?

Thanks in advance!!

10 replies
loriana Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 6:14pm
post #2 of 11

icon_cry.gif Still no response to this?... sniff... and I'm wondering what recipe to use next week... icon_cry.gif

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 7:19pm
post #3 of 11

They are all quite similar. Depending on the humidity and your familiarity of fondant, you will get slightly different results from any other decorator. Just be sure not to add too much powdered sugar, or your fondant will be dry and crack. The dough should be smooth and not sticky when it is right. If you are not sure, stop early, wrap it and let it rest at least an hour. If it is still a bit sticky, you can knead in a bit more SIFTED powdered sugar. (sift to avoid any lumps).

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 5:06am
post #4 of 11

I am pretty new to fondant so take what I say with that in mind! icon_smile.gif

I have made the MMF and Michelle Foster's fondant; white chocolate variation. Both had good texture and both were extremely easy to work with. The texture is quite similar as the PP said.

For the flavor my entire family (we total 6) liked the texture and flavor of the white chocolate better than the MMF. They stated it was "smoother". I think they just liked how it tasted better. icon_wink.gif

My MIL however liked the MMF better than the white chocolate so keep in mind that taste is subjective! The MMF tasted like powdered sugar and marshmallows to me but i didn't add any flavoring besides the vanilla called for in the recipe. Without doing both in white chocolate it would be difficult to do a real side by side comparison.

I read where someone did a chocolate fondant and added peppermint oil to it now I'm dying to try it! All of this research is making my jeans shrink! icon_cry.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif

loriana Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 12:53pm
post #5 of 11

Wow, thanks for the information so far. This is really handy!!

tbittner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tbittner Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 1:06pm
post #6 of 11

I really prefer Michelle Foster's Fondant to MMF as well. The texture is wonderful and it rolls out well.
Tracy

Dee1219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dee1219 Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 1:25pm
post #7 of 11

I used Satin Ice for about 3 years and a baker friend said I had to try the MMF, I haven't looked back!! It is so easy it is scarey! I use a bag of mini marshmallows a tablespoon of water and heat it in the microwave ( in a seriously greased bowl and a greased spoon while stirring) stirring after each minute until it is liquid, I then add my powdered sugar. I mix it all until it holds together, do not over do the ps!!! It is better to use less ps, cover it and let it sit for a few hours then add more if you need it. I think it is ideal if you let it sit for at least 12 hours before using it. I LOVE it! I always peel back the fondant no matter what it is anyway so the flavor does not bother meicon_smile.gif I have added wedding bouquet to it as I do my bc and that has worked beautifully! HTH

stlcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stlcakelady Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 3:27pm
post #8 of 11

I use the MMF and add a tsp or so of butter flavoring (even a little popcorn salt). I want it to taste similar to my buttercream that's underneath the fondant. Also, I use my mixer and dough hook to mix the fondant...so much easier!

Jewelsx19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jewelsx19 Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 4:31pm
post #9 of 11

I have only tried Michele Fosters and my whole family loved it!
I will say I am brand new to cake decorating and have NEVER before used fondant and found this pretty easy to make and work with. I think I actually didn't put enough powdered sugar in mine, because it was a little TOOOO stretchy and didn't hold shapes well.

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 12:58am
post #10 of 11

I've tried MMF, toba garett's recipe and michele foster's. Once I tried Michele's, I've never tried anything else. MMF was too sweet and had a sort of squishy fluffy chewy texture. My friend said it tasted like those orange circus peanuts candies. Toba's was okay, but it also seemed really sweet. I like micheles, I think because of the use of milk and butter. It just makes it taste better in general. It seemed easier to work with, though I cannot say why-it's been so long since I've used anything else.

Cake_Bliss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Bliss Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 1:16am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franluvsfrosting

I am pretty new to fondant so take what I say with that in mind! icon_smile.gif

I read where someone did a chocolate fondant and added peppermint oil to it now I'm dying to try it! All of this research is making my jeans shrink! icon_cry.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif

icon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gif That is hilarious...I agree!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%