Combining 2 Favorites Cake And Cookies, But I Need Help...

Baking By Jayde Updated 3 Aug 2008 , 6:20pm by born2bake

Jayde Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 8:41pm
post #1 of 21

I have a mini letter cookie cutter set, and I want to write something on a cake in cookie-form. I want to cut out what I want to say in sugar cookie dough, bake, and then decorate before sticking them on the cake. So a couple of questions before I start...

Do you think that the small cookie cutters will retain a shape that is recognizable for a letter?

Does anyone have a good cookie recipe that wont spread too much, so I still can keep the shape of these small letters?

Has anyone tried this or am I destined for failure?

20 replies
janelwaters Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 9:02pm
post #2 of 21

I use the recipe out of this book and have gotten RAVE reviews from them. I also use the mini cookie cutters and as long as your dough is chilled, your oven is hot, and your cookie sheet is completely cooled they shouldn't spread at all.

I think it sounds like a GREAT cake too! good luck!!

janelwaters Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 9:04pm
post #3 of 21

I am such a DORK! I fogot to add the link to the book:

LeckieAnne Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 9:34pm
post #4 of 21

You can use the no-fail sugar cookie recipe right here on cc - it's very good and will work just fine. Like she said - after you cut out the letters, put them on a cool cookie sheet, I then pop them in the freezer for about 10 minutes before I put them in the oven. They don't spread that way.

born2bake Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 9:41pm
post #5 of 21

You've got a great idea to use the lettering and I believe I've seen this idea used on cakes (maybe in a Wilton book). I use the NFSC recipe on this website and it's the best for taste and retaining his shape when baking. Last Xmas I experimented with 6 sugar cookie recipes and the NFSC by far came out on top. I agree with the other post it's key to ensure the dough is chilled and the baking sheet is fairly cool. What I do is roll out the dough, cut out the shapes and place the cut out dough on parchment paper. Once the parchment paper is filled with the cutouts I slide this on to the baking sheet and place it in the fridge or freezer for 5-7 minutes. I then put the cookie sheet in the oven and bake. My daisy cookies were made this way and I was pleased with the detail of the cutout.

Jayde Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 10:06pm
post #6 of 21

Beautiful Cookies Born2Bake!

Thanks guys! I appreciate the tips/help. I have never put cookies before on a cake, but I thought it would be super cute for this baby shower cake that I am going to be making.

Honeydukes Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 10:32pm
post #7 of 21

I don't know if you've seen this site, but they do the "cookies on cakes" thing better than anyone, IMHO.

traceyjade Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 1:12am
post #8 of 21

I know this idea would be difficult with alot of cookies but I have cut the cookies again after they were baked if they spread too much. Just do this while still warm icon_smile.gif

born2bake Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 5:35pm
post #9 of 21

Thank you Jayde, I appreciate the compliment!

Honeydukes - thank's for the flourpatchbakery website, these are AWESOME cakes! and cupcakes!

littlecake Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 1:55am
post #10 of 21

i'm starting a new line of cookies on cakes too!

it seems like a novel idea...good luck!

Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 6:22am
post #11 of 21

Your idea is wonderful. I love combining cakes and cookies. One of my favorite cookie artists also does wonderful cake and cookie combinations. Her website is Here's the link to her creations on Flickr

BCJean Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 6:44am
post #12 of 21

I like combining the two also. I think it is fun that they can actually eat the decorations. When I do my cookies for a cake, I decorate the cookie with buttercream icing.

This is one I did recently.

Honeydukes Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 8:48am
post #13 of 21

OMG, Kim! I cannot believe I forgot about Nancy!! Thank you for remembering! icon_redface.gif

BCJean, that cake is too cute.

B2B, your daisies are gorgeous! May I ask where you got the cutter?

born2bake Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 8:15pm
post #14 of 21

Thanks Honeydukes! I bought them through GSA, they're called cutter / plunger, here's the link

I used them to cut the cookies and then the fondant I used on the cookies. I also used them to make gumpaste daisy for the daisy cake I made. You see I did a cookies to match the cake to go with the Daisy theme 50th birthday party I hosted for two friends. I tried to attach a pictures of cookies and cake together to give you the overall picture but I get a message, something about the pixel range. I can PM you the picture if you'd like.

Honeydukes Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 4:34am
post #15 of 21
Originally Posted by born2bake

Thanks Honeydukes! I bought them through , they're called cutter / plunger, here's the link

I used them to cut the cookies and then the fondant I used on the cookies. I also used them to make gumpaste daisy for the daisy cake I made...

Thanks. Is it the one in your photos? Very pretty and the display was really lovely with the cookies scattered about. How thick were you able to roll your cookies? All the daisy cutters I have look more like sunflowers with wide petals.

born2bake Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 12:34am
post #16 of 21

I feel foolish that I don't know the actual measurement numbers of the thickness of my cookies so I had to look at a ruler and I'll describe the thickness as this: when looking at a ruler and you see the 1" mark and the 2" mark, in between them are 'line' marks for the 1/4", 1/2" and 3/4" and inbetween these markings is another line. The thickness of my cookies are between the 1" mark and that line that is between the 1" mark and the 1&1/4" mark. Is that an 1/8" thickness?

Hope this helps.

Honeydukes Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 3:01am
post #17 of 21

icon_lol.gif There are many times when I have to ask my husband to remind me what all those little marks are!!

Okay, so your cookies are 1/8" thick. I usually roll mine 3/8". I really like your cookies icon_smile.gif and want to order those cutters. I'm just worried that's too thick for them. Normally they're used for gumpaste, I guess. By looking at them do you think they'd be okay? But don't worry, I will definitely email the company and ask them before ordering.

beemarie Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 3:31am
post #18 of 21

I love the idea of cookies on a cake, which I never thought of until I saw some cakes here on CC with cookies on them. So for my daughter's 4th birthday I made one to see what it would be like. The kids loved it, especially since they got cake and cookies! I used a shortbread recipe since there is no levening in shortbread recipes, and they held their shape wonderfully. It was a fun cake to make, and I hope to do one again.

born2bake Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 12:43am
post #19 of 21

Honeydukes - yes, call the company to see if the cutter/plunger would work on 3/8" thickness dough. How can I explain this . . . . you can see by looking at the pictures of these cutter/plungers that it's all one piece, so I don't know if the depth between the 'plunger' part and the edge of the cutter part is 3/8". Hope this makes sense. I hope the cutters/plungers work for you.

Honeydukes Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 5:08am
post #20 of 21

Yes, that makes perfect sense. I'll definitely call first. Thanks, B!

born2bake Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 6:20pm
post #21 of 21

Honeydukes - Anytime! Would love to see your work when it's done. Please feel free to PM me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%