Need Idea - 1St B-Day Luau For A Boy!

Decorating By danar217 Updated 26 Jul 2008 , 6:00am by dandelion56602

danar217  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danar217 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 8:27pm
post #1 of 6

Hey there, I have a request and I'm having problems coming up with a cake!
It's for a Luau for a 1st b-day but it's a boy! Everything I've seen on here or come up with just seems too girly, especially with all the flowers. Any suggestions?

The smash cake is going to look like a beach ball to match the plates but the mom wants something else for the big cake. It's 1/2 sheet cake (yes, just a sheet cake!) She wants all buttercream, I could probably do fondant accents if needed. Any ideas? Sheet cakes just seem so boring so any ideas to do a fun "boy" one??

5 replies
 LoriMc  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 4:07pm
post #2 of 6

I just did a luau cake, but mine was girly. I did see several pictures of cakes that had surfboards on them that were cute. That could definitely be more boyish.

danar217  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danar217 Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 7:21pm
post #3 of 6

Giving myself a bump.........

kbgieger  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbgieger Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 2:28am
post #4 of 6

Maybe you could work in a tiki theme? Like the Backyardigans' "Surf's Up" with them surfing on Tiki Beach. (Can you tell I just watched this with my kids in the last 24 hours! icon_surprised.gif )

HTH,

Karen

thecakebox  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakebox Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 2:44am
post #5 of 6

What if you carved the sheetcake into a surfboard shape? there are lots of ideas in the gallery if you search for surfboard or luau. Here is one I thought had some good elements to it.. http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=58484 Good Luck!

dandelion56602  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 6:00am
post #6 of 6

You could make some chocolate transfers. I wish I were at home b/c the last pottery barn kids was full of the luau theme.

These are cute. Could do in blue/red/white/yellow/green
Beach balls, trees, sand (brown sugar) surf boards, trunks, shorts, etc. http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=36710

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%