Need Idea - 1St B-Day Luau For A Boy!

Decorating By danar217 Updated 26 Jul 2008 , 6:00am by dandelion56602

danar217 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 8:27pm
post #1 of 6

Hey there, I have a request and I'm having problems coming up with a cake!
It's for a Luau for a 1st b-day but it's a boy! Everything I've seen on here or come up with just seems too girly, especially with all the flowers. Any suggestions?

The smash cake is going to look like a beach ball to match the plates but the mom wants something else for the big cake. It's 1/2 sheet cake (yes, just a sheet cake!) She wants all buttercream, I could probably do fondant accents if needed. Any ideas? Sheet cakes just seem so boring so any ideas to do a fun "boy" one??

5 replies
LoriMc Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 4:07pm
post #2 of 6

I just did a luau cake, but mine was girly. I did see several pictures of cakes that had surfboards on them that were cute. That could definitely be more boyish.

danar217 Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 7:21pm
post #3 of 6

Giving myself a bump.........

kbgieger Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 2:28am
post #4 of 6

Maybe you could work in a tiki theme? Like the Backyardigans' "Surf's Up" with them surfing on Tiki Beach. (Can you tell I just watched this with my kids in the last 24 hours! icon_surprised.gif )

thecakebox Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 2:44am
post #5 of 6

What if you carved the sheetcake into a surfboard shape? there are lots of ideas in the gallery if you search for surfboard or luau. Here is one I thought had some good elements to it.. Good Luck!

dandelion56602 Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 6:00am
post #6 of 6

You could make some chocolate transfers. I wish I were at home b/c the last pottery barn kids was full of the luau theme.

These are cute. Could do in blue/red/white/yellow/green
Beach balls, trees, sand (brown sugar) surf boards, trunks, shorts, etc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%