Chunky Swiss Meringue Buttecream!

Decorating By koumi Updated 25 Jul 2008 , 8:47pm by FromScratch

koumi Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 8:16pm
post #1 of 10

Thinking that I can lower the fat content, I used less butter. It ended up being too soupy no matter how long I chilled it in the fridge. Then I added the leftover correct amount of butter, and whip it really fast! This is what I got instead....

So....I guess I need to use the full amount of butter and take my time whipping it at slow? Can someone show me their perfect SMBC? I never get it right. It's always so soupy, or smooth with butter chunks that never mix in.

9 replies
antonia74 Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 12:16am
post #2 of 10

Yeah, you probably can't skimp on the butter to try to lower the fat in this recipe. The fat is measured at the right amount to balance out the volume of meringue. It's all chemistry & science in the baking world, lol icon_smile.gif

It looks as though you are nearly there in your photo, but that the butter is just a little too cold...thus the clumps. At that point, I'd turn the mixer on medium-high and use the whisk or even the paddle attachment if you wanted to, maybe for 5 minutes still?

Here's a really good step-by-step article with photos a friend of mine did. In her last photo, her icing is perfect. (She flavoured it with cocoa/chocolate by that point, but you can see how smooth & glossy it naturally should be.)

http://www.cakescanada.com/HowTo/how-to-SMBC.pdf

thumbs_up.gif

koumi Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 2:58am
post #3 of 10

Thanks so much for that link!

I noticed that she used a wire beater for the addition of the eggs, and that her buttercream was chunky. If I use the paddle, would it keep it smoother?

I don't get how her buttercream turned magically smooth after the addition of the chocolate.

icon_confused.gif

antonia74 Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 3:09am
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by koumi

Thanks so much for that link!

I noticed that she used a wire beater for the addition of the eggs, and that her buttercream was chunky. If I use the paddle, would it keep it smoother?

I don't get how her buttercream turned magically smooth after the addition of the chocolate.

icon_confused.gif

It's not the addition of the chocolate that made it smooth...she just didn't take a photo of it fully smooth when it was still plain buttercream.

What I do is add the last bit of butter, keep whipping it with the whisk on med-high for 3-5 minutes and then change to the paddle attachment for another 3-5 minutes on medium speed to get it silky smooth and to lose most of the air-bubbles, etc. By the end, it is completely soft (like softly-whipped cream) and super smooth/even.

FromScratch Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 3:13am
post #5 of 10

You need to warm it up.. you whipped it up too cold and it separated. If you have a culinary torch, you can heat up the outside of the bowl while you whip it, or you can bring a pot of water to a boil and set your mixer bowl over that for a minute or two and whip it up and keep alternating until it warms up.

It will be okay.. just be patient. icon_smile.gif

KoryAK Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 3:13am
post #6 of 10

Looks too cold to me. Warm it up a bit and whip again.

aswartzw Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 1:27pm
post #7 of 10

Somebody once told me that you can add and subtract sticks of butter with no bad consequences. Now with that, I probably would only adjust it by 1 or 2 sticks depending on how much you used to begin with.

For example, jkalman's recipe calls for 3 sticks butter. On another thread, she said she started using 4 sticks. Well, now I'm playing follow the leader! thumbs_up.gif

Also, even when you do everything correctly, your SMBC will look curdled and chunky like that. Just whip it more.... (I use the whisk and beater interchangeably so that doesn't change it either)

FromScratch Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 2:05pm
post #8 of 10

The recipe still works great with 3 sticks too. I just added too many once when doubling and it worked out to 4 sticks per 5 egg batch and it was just as good. I was always shy of adding it all thinking it would make it way too buttery.. well if you use unsalted butter and enough flavoring that just doesn't happen. icon_smile.gif

koumi Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 7:38pm
post #9 of 10

I'm so pleased! I tried again and this time my SMBC came out perfectly! thumbs_up.gif

I had really soft butter and incorporated it with the paddle. Then I whipped the whole thing up to 3 minutes and it came out nice and silky. Phew..no more "Cottage cheese SMBC!" whoo hoo!

Whipping the meringue
Slowly incorporating soft butter
Beating until it firms up

I'm so pleased! It's my very first successful SMBC! Whoo-hoo! icon_biggrin.gif

Big question: How do the pros use SMBC on wedding cakes and make it looks so perfectly white? Mine has a slight yellow tinge to it...

FromScratch Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 8:47pm
post #10 of 10

It will have a yellow tinge to it.. there's not getting around it using all butter. Some people use high ratio shortening and clear vanilla to get a really white frosting.. you could also try adding a TINY bit of violet candy color to it. It's an oil based food color that will mix nicely with the SMBC.. gel colors don't like to play with SMBC nicely.. they get grainy looking. Also.. some butters have more yellow food dye in them than others. Land-O-Lakes is a pretty light butter and that can help too.. or check out to organic butters.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%