Anyone Not Use Nfsc Recipe?

Baking By akgirl10 Updated 24 Jul 2008 , 7:20pm by bunnywiser

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 5:55pm
post #1 of 7

I've used it a few times, and it's OK, but somehow not my favorite sugar cookie. And for all of the freezing I do they always spread a bit! Has anyone tried subbing some of the butter for shortening?

6 replies
Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 6:16pm
post #2 of 7

I love this recipe and use it BUT when I freeze the dough and thaw it the dough is crumbly but if I bake the cookies as soon as I make the dough they come out great they keep their shape and taste great I just wish the dough was as good after being frozen as it is fresh anyone have any advice

Molly2

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 6:19pm
post #3 of 7

This is a good recipe, and it doesn't require the extra fuss.

http://www.karenscookies.net/shop/recipes/info_11.html#recipe01

manahigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manahigh Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 6:27pm
post #4 of 7

I have tried NFSC on two occasions and then gave up. I found it to be very difficult to work with (all the rolling out, chilling, cutting out, chilling again) and then the baked cookies would be crumbly. I now use a basic butter cookie that is rich, tasty, durable and you can roll it out without chilling the dough. They do not lose their shape either. I have posted the recipe in a prior forum but will be happy to provide again if anyone is interested.

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 6:30pm
post #5 of 7

Manahigh, I would love the recipe, can you please post again? Thank you so much!

Another ?, how thick do you all roll out your cookies? I'm not making a bouquet, just regular iced sugar cookies.

manahigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manahigh Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 7:08pm
post #6 of 7

Here is the recipe akgirl10. As you can see it is very simple with only 4 ingredients.

1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar
2 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp vanilla extract

Beat butter until creamy, gradually add powder sugar, beating until light and fluffly. Add flour and vanilla, mixing well. Shape dough into ball.
Roll dough to 1/8 inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. Cut into shapes and place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bank at 300 for 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire racks. Makes about 3 dozen 2" cookies.

This originally is a recipe for a sandwich cookie that is filled with raspberry preserves. I love the flavor of this cookie so I tried using this when the NFSC was not working for me.

I cut identical shapes out of Michele Fosters fondant and place on the cookies while they are still warm out of the oven. Once they cool completely, I decorate with royal icing.

bunnywiser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bunnywiser Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 7:20pm
post #7 of 7

I also use Karen's recipe above. Never had a problem with it. Tastes great. Bakes just like you cut it.

I divide the dough in half, put each half in a freezer zip-loc bag, then roll out in the bag. Freeze for about an hour and it comes out ready to cut! No messy board or rolling pin!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%