Have You Ever...?

Decorating By Antgirl Updated 24 Jul 2008 , 6:14pm by pastrylady

Antgirl Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 5:49pm
post #1 of 3

Have you ever made 4 8" square cakes and put them together to make a 16" square, instead of doing a whole 16" square intact? Once it's iced, can you even tell the difference? And when it's cut, the seams would be on the cutting lines anyway, right? I made a 14" square cake for the first time a couple months ago and had a heck of a time with the torted layers breaking when I moved it. (I tried sliding it onto and off of a cardboard square, but it was too moist and stuck to the board.) So for an upcoming 16" one, I was thinking of doing 4 8" squares. Any thoughts? Thanks!

2 replies
aswartzw Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 6:13pm
post #2 of 3

I don't see why it wouldn't work. With the proper support system you should be fine. Freezing your cakes (if you have a big enough freezer) even for a few minutes helps with transporting the layers.

pastrylady Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 6:14pm
post #3 of 3

I haven't done a square this way, but I have put together two 1/4 sheet cakes and iced them as one 1/2 sheet cake with no problem. Just make sure you have a strong board that doesn't bend when you lift it. If the board bends those seems could open up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%