Gumpaste Flowers

Decorating By sherryj Updated 24 Jul 2008 , 7:48pm by vixterfsu

sherryj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherryj Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 4:35pm
post #1 of 4

I have been trying to learn to make gumpaste flowers on my own without taking a class (can't find one). My flowers seem to break when I try to assemble them. Is is because they are not fully dried/hardened? Would using fondant be easier? Does any one have any tips for making gumpaste flowers? Thanks.

3 replies
Nicolle711 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nicolle711 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 4:39pm
post #2 of 4

Hi Sherry, I am no expert in gumpaste flowers as I am just starting to work with them myself. But I do know that once I finish working with my flowers and finish assembling in whatever flower cup holder I use, I let them dry overnight maybe longer before working with them again to place them on a cake.

If the gumpaste is falling apart or breaking while you are putting the flower together, then you may have something going on with your gumpaste, either too dry or too sticky. I will leave that to the more advanced cake decorators to tackle icon_biggrin.gif

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 7:25pm
post #3 of 4

It sounds like your gumpaste (gp) may be too dry. Did you use a mix or make it yourself? It can be caused by the individual petals getting exposed to too much air before you try to assemble them. Remember to only cut a couple of petals at a time and keep your gp covered with plastic wrap and put a damp (only damp) cloth over top of the plastic wrap. This keeps the paste from drying before you are ready for it.

vixterfsu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vixterfsu Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 7:48pm
post #4 of 4

Depending on the gumpaste you're using. I swear
by Scott C. Woolleys gumpaste. You have to make
it, but it's worth it. I make two batches and put in
the fridge till I need it. You can work with this paste
and in an hour decorate your flowers of whatever.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%