Freezing

Baking By jess4037 Updated 22 Aug 2008 , 8:17pm by aboud18

jess4037 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jess4037 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 4:10pm
post #1 of 16

any idea how long you can freeze cookie dough???

15 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 5:58pm
post #2 of 16

Well packaged, probably up to a month for best results.

pinkbeesugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkbeesugar Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 8:40pm
post #3 of 16

I would think that it depends on the recipe you use. I just a very old family rec that was my grandmothers and I can freeze it for two months if I have to.

I wrap it in wax paper, press and seal then freezer paper all deposited in a freezer ziploc, and although I rarely have it in the freezer that long, it will last. HTH

Tashablueyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tashablueyes Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 4:42am
post #4 of 16

Can you also freeze baked and not yet decorated cookies? Or do they get smooshy?

Tashablueyes Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 11:42pm
post #5 of 16

Anyone? Enquiring minds want to know!

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 12:02am
post #6 of 16

We made sugar cookies for my aunt's wedding and froze them for like three weeks, the first couple of batches, and nobody at the reception seemed to know the difference. We just put them in big airtight tubs. They were already decorated, but we didn't use any kind of icing, just decorator's sugar.

Tashablueyes Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 12:42am
post #7 of 16

Thanks Varica! I don't plan to freeze batches of cookies for long, but it's nice to know that I can make a big batch and freeze the extras for a week or two without ruining them.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 1:13am
post #8 of 16

I freeze my sugar cookie dough for 6-8 weeks and also the cookies undecorated , and the royal icing ones too. If you have a good recipe they work real well. That's the only way I can keep up during the holidays. FREEZING!!!!

mis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mis Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 1:40am
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tashablueyes

Can you also freeze baked and not yet decorated cookies? Or do they get smooshy?

I just did a test run for freezing my cookies already decorated. I had an order for 2 cookie bouquets for last week and I had to go in for surgery and was unable to do them, so I had made up a few extra from the one bouquet I have in my pics. I froze the pill bottle with a white label and black writing on it and the cookie with a message on it and the pink flower with a black face. I put them in a ziplock bag and froze them for a few days and then I put them in the fridge for a day then sat them on my counter for a few hours until room temp. The bag had got opened up by accident by my DD and I didn't have no problems with the icing bleeding. They looked like I just decorated them. HTH

Tashablueyes Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 4:15am
post #10 of 16

This is such good news! I have a habit of making a huge batch when I get a chance and then have tons of leftovers. Yay!

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 12:34pm
post #11 of 16

I freeze undecorated cookies all the time, without any problems. Just make sure they are well wrapped and protected against breakage. They'll keep frozen for months.

debster Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 1:45pm
post #12 of 16

I wanted to add that I used to worry about this to, then I stopped and thought one day. Hey, the premade cookie doughs at the store how long do they sit in the freezer? icon_biggrin.gif We are far to picky sometimes us home made bakers, I know I am. icon_lol.gif

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 4:25pm
post #13 of 16

There's lots of stuff in the refrigerated supermarket doughs that's not in scratch cookie doughs, though.

Edee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edee Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 5:29pm
post #14 of 16

what cookie recipe do you use to freeze?

Any that does not use butter?

I hate using butter in my sugar cookies. Thanks for any help.

debster Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 8:47pm
post #15 of 16

Sorry icon_redface.gif mine uses butter.

aboud18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aboud18 Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 8:17pm
post #16 of 16

I've frozen undecorated NFSC before. I placed a layer of cookies in a ziplock, a sheet of parchment paper, then another layer of cookies. I fit about 3 or 4 layers in one ziplock. I then wrapped the ziplock bag in plastic wrap and stuck them in the freezer.

They tasted perfectly fine when I defrosted them weeks later. The only thing you need to remember is that when you take them out of the freezer to thaw keep them in the ziplock until completely thawed Otherwise, they will get soggy.

Hope this helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%