From 3 4 1 Cake...wah!!

Business By missmeg Updated 25 Jul 2008 , 6:12pm by indydebi

missmeg Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 3:45pm
post #1 of 13

August was gearing up to be pretty busy for me. I haven't broken into weddings yet, but I feel I'm pretty close...just gotta catch those brides icon_lol.gif.

So I was all set to do 3 cakes the next 4 weekends - July 27, Aug 10, and Aug 16th. The 16th is my dd's birthday party, so that one's a non-paying icon_biggrin.gif.

The July 27th cake got pushed to August 10th. A tight squeeze, but it'll work.

The customer wanting the original Aug 10th date then announced she needed TWO cakes for two different weekends - Aug 3th and Aug 10th. More work, but more money too. No problem.

She just contacted me today - now NO cakes from her icon_cry.gif . The cake(s) were for her mother's 90th birthday. one cake for the family party on Aug 3rd, one cake for an Open House party on Aug 10th. Well, her mom informed her that she wants NOTHING for her 90th birthday - no cake, no party, no family AT ALL. A potential $150 flying out of my grasp.

Oh well. I still have the paid cake for Aug 10th, and I get to play to my heart's content for my dd's b-day. But I was really looking forward to being really "cake busy".

12 replies
APrettyCake Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 4:00pm
post #2 of 13

I hate cancelled cakes icon_sad.gif I had a cancellation a few weeks ago - the day before the event. I had already made the fondant decorations and was getting ready to put cakes in the oven. Needless to say, I have a pregnant hula girl and NOTHING to do with her! To make matters worse, the order was for my close friend and neighbor, so I had not even been paid for it yet. She was taking a collection from the girls at the shower, which was cancelled.
So sorry for your "loss" - I know it is heartbreaking. icon_cry.gif

sttgirl Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 4:04pm
post #3 of 13

I completely understand the feeling. icon_cry.gif It's always exciting to get an order and start planning the cake design but when they cancel it's like a rug being pulled out from under you.

melvin01 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 4:20pm
post #4 of 13

We just had a suprise 90th birthday party for my grandmother and it was totally the best! We had over 70 people come to her house while she was out and it just floored her (it was 2 weeks before her actual birthday and unbelieveably no one blabbed to her about it)! Fortunately we took pictures because it was so overwhelming at the time, when she saw the pictures it was like having the party all over again! And she is still talking about it now almost a month later.

She is also of the "now I don't want anything" and you can never buy her anything, but when you get that age, it's really nice to have their friends and family come together just to see them.

Unfortunately, at that age sometimes it's too late to get everyone together and the only time you see them is at the funeral. (don't mean to get dark there, but it's true and it's so sad not to celebrate our lives while we can.)

ANYWAY, I am sorry the client cancelled the cake, and there isn't any way to call her and make her have a party, but I wish they would do a surprise like we had. It means so much to someone to see all of their friends and who doesn't like a surprise?? We had people from 5 different states show up and it was totally worth all of the planning.

I hope they change their minds and do something anyway. Maybe something else will come up instead.

RRGibson Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 4:25pm
post #5 of 13

Be careful what you ask for! I had a really busy May and June and I'm enjoying my break. Those "cake busy" weekends can really break you down sometimes.

indydebi Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 7:38pm
post #6 of 13

Agree with RRGibson! I have 3 weekends with no cakes, no caterings and I am LUVIN' it!! Because come 8-8-08, I have 3 weddings that day. I dont' know what's up with brides this year, but my fall schedule is jammed! WAY more fall weddings this year!

I am enjoying my limited and rare time off to just crash on my couch, laptop on my lap, CC on my screen, and a Lifetime Movie on the TV!

RRGibson Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 7:51pm
post #7 of 13

Amen Debi!

missmeg Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 8:14pm
post #8 of 13

Ahhh, but you see, I'm just starting to try and get my business off the ground icon_smile.gif. No offense ladies, but MOST of my weekends are spent doing things other than caking. I'd love some super-busy string of weekends here. It would prove to my dh that this is a viable thing, not just a glorified hobby.

indydebi Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 8:34pm
post #9 of 13

I certainly understand that, but trust us ... like Trace Atkins says in his song....

"You're Gonna Miss This" thumbs_up.gif

skaggs1 Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 2:20pm
post #10 of 13

missmeg, I do understand how you feel!! May and June were fantastic but since July 12 I have had nothing and that worry factor kicks in icon_eek.gif Granted I did get all the walls in my house cleaned and all the kids clothes sorted and the carpets clean, but I would rather know that I have order's coming in as well, I too want to prove to my hubby that I can one day open my own storefront!!

t2caudill Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 2:35pm
post #11 of 13

It is comforting to hear that others are having a slow streak also. May and June were crazy months for me, but July has proven to be slower. I looked at my books and I have been busier this July as compared to last year, but I get an anxious feeling if I am not constantly baking, decorating, or planning a cake.

HBcakes Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 3:00pm
post #12 of 13

I know how you feel about the cancellations, especially when it's one you're excited for. I hate it when they all lump together- June, July, and August this year are CRAZY, and all I want is a day off, but then Sept and Oct I only have 1 wedding in each of those months, and then I worry a little about being bored & not bringing in more money....

indydebi Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 6:12pm
post #13 of 13

I'm (kinda) glad to hear some others are having a slow July ... my July SUX!!!! Fall bookings are looking better....

Quote by @%username% on %date%